[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate statement

Elsa S elsa.saade at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 22:27:53 CEST 2018

Hi Tapani,

My reply is in line below.

With all the respect I have for everyone,

Elsa
—

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 2:45 PM Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info>
wrote:

> Hi Elsa,
>
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2018 at 02:32:55PM -0400, Elsa S (elsa.saade at gmail.com)
> wrote:
>
> > I must say that I am appalled by the repeated mentioning of ‘the
> > need for repairing relationships between NCUC and NPOC’ while in the
> > past year, being in the NCUC EC, I only saw very constructive and
> > encouraging exchanges as well as engagement between both
> > constituencies.
> [...]
> > if all that i witnessed in the past year was only an illusion of a
> > healthy development [...]
>
> No, I think it's been very real, indeed NCUC-NPOC relations have been
> steadily improving over the past three or four years.

Referring to David’s statement here: “Perhaps it would help cooperation and
lessen the competitive and even antagonistic relationships that our
constituencies have historically had.”

This statement unfortunately does not reflect that improvement.

Neither does this unfortunately: “You are making an interesting, I dare say
bold attempt to change the relationship between our constituencies.“

Thus I thank you for your last email! I appreciate that we all agree that
things have changed in fact and have really been promising for the future
of our collaborations!

But I remember
> only too well when they were much worse, and I'm worried that things
> could go to the wrong direction again. And a liaison, whether such
> overlapping EC membership as Dave is now attempting or not, could
> help, acting like the hotline during Cold War to alert early and help
> resolve potential problems before they become too difficult.

I believe the main aspect that played a big positive role this year is the
fact that new people came into leadership positions with the aim of truly
improving engagement, collaboration, policy development along with more
experienced individuals such as yourself, Joane, Renata and others... We
had deliberately worked on taming the cold war together thankfully, and it
worked well as far as I’ve seen in terms of NPOC/NCUC collaborations!

As long as we’re all aware of the success of last year, we’d surely want to
replicate it, with whoever wins this upcoming election! I am optimistic.

> Regards,
>
> --
> Tapani Tarvainen

Elsa Saade