[NCUC-DISCUSS] 3 last days to propose questions to ICANN CEO

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Sun May 27 19:30:04 CEST 2018

Questions that I have for the CEO...

====
On 25 May, ICANN initiated legal action against Epag in Germany.

--> Can you please tell us why ICANN has escalated a compliance issue directly to a Court in the first instance, rather than send a letter or try informally to resolve this situation with the contracted party?

--> Does ICANN think it is reasonable to take legal action against a contracted party, when its temporary specification for gTLD registration data was adopted only a week earlier, on 17 May? This did not leave the contracted party with a large window to make a good faith effort to implement it.

--> The legal filing that was submitted was 25 pages long, along with many appendixes. It seems unlikely that this was written the day it was filed. On 21 May, the FY19 Budget was amended to include $1.2 million for GDPR legal expenses. When did ICANN decide it would begin taking legal action against the contracted parties in relation to the temporary specification? Is there further legal action that ICANN org is planning, and if so, what is it?

====
In the final version of the FY19 Budget published on 21 May, ICANN org has indicated it will partially fund CROP in the coming fiscal year.

--> In only partially funding CROP and slashing the ABR envelope, we are concerned that important opportunities for external engagement will be lost. Can you please advise with whom in the community ICANN org consulted prior to making these changes?

--> Can you please advise who, within ICANN, manages CROP? This would sound an easy question but it is not. The budget owner is GSE, but this department does not administer the programme. The programme is administered by the Policy department, however they say they have no say over the programme's future direction. We have subsequently been told that, "Policy and GSE are internal customers of CROP." What does this mean - who ultimately decides on the programme's future?

===
Concerns have been raised around community member liability that may arise from participating in ICANN's policy making activities. While staff and directors have protections, the community does not. The ICANN bylaws say that the organisation will defend community members only under limited circumstances, and we think this definition is sufficiently vague that it could see no one in the community defended. Will ICANN org provide the community with assurances that it will defend community members who suffer legal consequences as a result of their volunteerism at ICANN? If not, why not?

​Ayden