[NCUC-DISCUSS] WSIS 2018 Outcome document NCUC session

Thato Mfikwe thatomfikwe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 12:35:55 CEST 2018

Thanks Renata for sharing,

ISOC's Collaborative Governance project is exciting, it should reveal the
successes and challenges in sustaining and implementing a multi-stakeholder
model with a national, regional and global outlook. Looking forward to the
launch!

Maybe for ICANN and DNS, cyber security is a priority but balance is needed
between the challenges of the global South and the global North. In the
global South, access is a priority although security measures cannot be
compromised or be left unattended. Access also affects non commercial
users, which is one of the reasons why commercial users and government find
a lot of expression in IG direction (on security issues) as they are more
affected than non commercial users. Furthermore, the multi-linguism aspect
of the internet and DNS will not be effectively realised if intended users
cannot access or afford to access these domains and start creating and
interacting their own content.

Now, the multi-stakeholder model needs to start at local level and filter
to the global level and IGOs and governments play a pivotal role in
enabling this and I am aware of the ongoing rhetoric about ICANN merit
being misaligned to access related issues but there is an opportunity to
address related issues as they directly influence how DNS grows and is
trusted, especially in under-serviced regions. I also bear in mind that
security is important for a secure, trusted and resilient DNS.

The MS model implemented by ICANN needs to be applauded but how many other
organisations in the IG eco-system have dedicated sessions to address and
capture specific community challenges, inputs and recommendations. I
personally think that ICANN just needs to address diversity challenges and
continue to lead and champion the MS model. With diversity, I believe that
all global issues will be put to the table and be effectively dealt with if
not prioritized.  Thanks for the report

Thato Mfikwe - thinking out loud.