[NCUC-DISCUSS] Diversity issues vs personal preferences

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Sat Jun 30 21:04:34 CEST 2018

I do think that Thato has touched upon a problem that has not, to the
best of my knowledge been discussed before, namely the accountability of
the CEO and management team for staffing decisions.  Is there a policy
that addresses diversity?  I doubt it, I am not even sure there is a
policy or strategic priority that underpins the globalization of offices
and remote participation of staff.  So diversity and multiculturalism
may not be an expressed goal in ICANN hiring practices.  In my view it
should; I regard the staff of ICANN.org much as I would a government
organization, I expect it to explicitly attempt to mirror the community
it serves.  Implicit in that is cultural diversity, not just regional
presence.  However, there are many who measure ICANN as a high tech
corporation, with different metrics.

If you wish to register community distress at what the CEO actually
said, my recommendation would be to channel it through the fellowship
program (who invited him) and get multiple signatures from those who
were there and actually heard him

cheers Stephanie Perrin.