[NCUC-DISCUSS] Nomcom review draft

Robert Guerra rguerra at privaterra.org
Sat Jan 27 16:50:25 CET 2018

Having served on the nomcom in the past I am quite keen that NCUC and
other entities comment on the review so that the many issued facing this
most important body be identified and significant changes made to make
it far less subject to capture, more open and transparent and consistent
with the goals and objectives of the reforms implemented as a result of
the IANA transition.

I’ve added comments in regards to the - change of the processes and
procedures on how the NOMCOM operates - that is done EACH and every year
- in an opaque, closed door processes without any - transparency not
consolation of the ICANN community.

IMHO, such a key body shouldn’t be left to be able to change its own
procedures the way it has been doing so. It opens itself to the
potential of perceived and/or actual capture by interests (as is the
case this year). I would recommend that an option is to shift the
defining of the rules and procedures from the NOMCOM leadership to the
empowered community. This would allow for - an open process and
consultation, discussion and due notice - before changes are
implemented.

regards

Robert

--