[NCUC-DISCUSS] Nomcom rep re-appointment results

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Mon Aug 20 16:14:12 CEST 2018

Dear Renata and NCUC leadership

A belated thank you for the confidence in me to reappoint me for a
second term. I will do my best to add value to the NomCom process. I
post below my statement of interest to share with you my thoughts of
what I would like to prioritise in my second term.

Warmly

Anriette Esterhuysen

*Statement of Interest in being appointed for a second term to ICANNs
Nominations Committee by the NCUC*

Firstly, thank you very much to NCUC for appointing me to the 2018
NomCom. I am aware that it is an honour to be chosen and appreciate
being trusted with the responsibility. I have been a member of NCUC for
a very long time, but my participation has not been as active as I would
like it to have been due to my previous position as executive director
of the Association for Progressive Communications. I just had too much
else to do to be more than a follower and occasional contributor.
Nevertheless, I did attend several ICANN meetings, and participated in
collaborative activities, particularly NCUC outreach events in Durban,
London and Johannesburg and ensured that APC contributed to some key
decisions and processes.

I stepped down from my position as APC ED in mid-2017 which created more
opportunity for me to participate in ICANN and was appointed by NCUC to
serve on NomCom not long after. In spite of not being at the first
meeting in Dubai I have been a very active member of NomCom and feel
that my contribution has made a positive difference.

NomCom's role in ICANN is very important. NomCom has to identify people
for leadership that do not come through the constituency (or SO/AC)
track. This means we have to find people with excellent experience and
qualifications who can contribute to ICANN as a nonprofit, public
interest organisation that is community driven AND accountable more
broadly for the decisions it makes. NomCom candidates need to be 'non
aligned' and bring diversity of experience and perspectives, but also
have the qualifications and experience needed to operate in a tough
environment.

*Why another term?*

My past experience and skillsets are particularly suited to the NomCom
role. I have served on several boards in the past (see my CV which is
attached) and have done a lot of recruitment. I am used to working in a
multistakeholder environment, and having to stand up for public interest
concerns and voice civil society perspectives in contexts where this is
not easy.  While I cannot represent NCUC in a direct manner as a NomCom
member, I believe I have been able to make sure that NCUC and NCSG
priorities (as communicated to NomCom by NCSG leadership) are considered
seriously by NomCom. NomCom is hard work, but it is work that I feel I
can do efficiently and effectively.

Secondly, NomCom is a team of people that work together under a lot of
pressure and in quite a closed manner as much of what we discuss is
confidential. Learning to work together with efficiency, and trust and
respect takes time. Most members serve more than one term. This provides
some continuity which is very important. I feel that I learned a lot,
about NomCom, about the other SOs and ACs, about leadership in ICANN and
that it would be good to be able to apply this learning during a second
term. I also feel that my experience in working in teams, being part of
boards, and being part of collective decision-making processes (e.g. the
IGF MAG) has helped me to contribute to creating a productive working
environment in NomCom.

Thirdly, I feel my work is not "finished".  I have  a specific goal to
focus on getting strong candidates from Africa and the MENA regions into
the selection process. It is not that I did not try this last year, or
even in the past  through other NomComs, but I feel I now have a better
understanding of how to address the challenge of getting strong
candidates from these regions into ICANN leadership positions. It is not
that these regions are the only underrepresented regions.. there are
others, but currently they are MORE under represented than most other
regions. The challenge is not so much to have large numbers of
candidates from these regions, but to get people that really meet the
qualifications and that are so strong that they can come through the
initial selection phases of NomCom. This means that the outreach has to
be very focused, identifying people that have the specific skills needed
for specific leadership positions.. not just people who are in general
interested in taking a leadership role in ICANN. I feel more able to do
this well in a second round on NomCom than I did during my first term.

Finally, while the results are not yet public, I feel that  I managed to
do well during my first term on NomCom. In spite of many challenges we
as a NomCom selected candidates that will strengthen gender diversity
and other forms of diversity in ICANN leadership. I do not take credit
for this - it was a collective achievement, and only time will tell how
the community feels about it. But I really believe that as a NomCom we
selected the strongest possible candidates in the final phases of the
selection process. I look forward to feedback.