[NCUC-DISCUSS] PIR Meeting

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Sat Sep 23 14:03:47 CEST 2017

Thank you, Farzaneh, I really appreciate this update.

When you are in Reston it might be interesting to speak with the PIR regarding their GDPR-preparedness. In Johannesburg it was clear that this is something they are very cognisant of, but I am not sure if they have updated the Advisory Committee on their progress (this may not be within the remit of the AC, I'm not sure). In their own words, GDPR will impact them, so what efforts are they undertaking to comply with it from next May when enforcement begins, and what could be the impact for their registrants, who include both our members and those whose interests we in the NCUC seek to protect?

I see a few contracted parties taking part in ICANN PDPs, but not nearly enough. I sometimes think this (privacy, and ICANN's institutionalised lack of respect for it) is not our battle as the NCUC to fight; it is theirs more than it is ours. I do not understand why many of the contracted parties are so willing to allow certain interest groups to externalise all of the risk of their activities.

—Ayden