[NCUC-DISCUSS] Revised NCUC Statement on Domain Abuse and the Avoidance of Content Regulation

Michael Karanicolas mkaranicolas at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 10:26:23 CEST 2017

Hi,

Looks like a very good statement. I just have a small point, with
regard to the phrase "and whether hate speech -- illegal under some
nations’ laws and accord[ed] the highest protection under others --
was legitimate or not." Are there any countries other than the United
States which do not have any hate speech laws? I am not aware of any,
which makes the presentation of this division seem a little
misleading. And even for the United States, I'm not sure it's accurate
to describe hate speech as being accorded "the highest protection" -
surely it's protected in line with other forms of speech, but not
above them.

I would suggest this be rephrased to "and whether hate speech, whose
definition and legal status varies from country to country, was
legitimate or not." I think that makes it seem less US-focused.

Best wishes and congratulations on this great work,

Michael Karanicolas