[NCUC-DISCUSS] Questions for candidates

Kris Seeburn seeburn.k at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 14:15:13 CEST 2017

Dear all,

Sorry i could not make it to the meet the candidates. I was called in for  very important digital forensics work for law enforcement. I could not predict it and so my sincere and humblest apologies.

So thanks Arsene for those interesting questions which i would have asked by all means to anyone. But here goes. In the end whether i am voted or not i still am within the different WT and this does not influence the support and help i would continue on doing as far as i have no conflict of interest.

I take the same opportunity to ask anyone of you to please bring your questions about. I might sometimes take some time or sometimes if am thinking about something else i may be wanting a change i would be replying nearly instantly. All the best to all the excellent candidates and God bless.

Question for Chairs:

What do you think NCUC members expect from the new Chair? I believe as Chair, you have the ability to know what members needs and what they want to see as a change with your new leadership. Please do comment on this.

It is the right question. My philosophy is members first. We have gone a long way to get here and there are new challenges that face us. One thing is important to NCUC from my take is that the members not only need to understand their rights but also understand clearly how they can help make a difference and how they can contribute to make that difference. Farzaneh has done a very good job of making her best for transparency.Every member of this constituency is important the civil rights of each is important whilst taking on board the realities of the cultural differences. I understand that members want more and some are members without really appreciating why they are here and what they can do to make a difference. Bearing in mind we form part of GNSO the bigger challenge is not only us but the houses in the constituency. We cannot forget that there are other so/ac. The one primary purpose of NCUC is policy from a civil perspective. What we face and what we want to bring forward. As i said i believe the chair steers the EC decides a lot but we need to be close to the members and value the contributions and find ways to include those contributions. We are civil society. In a way the poorest of the poor but one thing that stands clear. Our rights to privacy our right to defend ourselves our words should always weigh it worth.

And i would say it’s not only the  chair but our community to also know its role in this constituency the EC has its role. The Policy committee has its role as well. We are having aging members who want to pass on the flag to newer members. But the problem is that we never know how much of us will take the flag forward and make those differences.

Knowing what we think is not true, knowing what we know when we talk to membership is when we would really know. No matter what its a family its a constituency that has to work together and we should not diverge too much from what our bylaws dictate.

Questions for Chairs:
-          What do you consider being the difference (in terms of engagement and weight if any) between individual members and organization members within the NCUC?

I personally do not make difference between organizational or individuals, we are all fighting for the same reasons. The only thing that differentiates each is the power of voting as per bylaws. But no voice should go unheard nor giving too much to one or the other. Organizations have a tendency to push some of their own agendas. But bottomline we are all focused towards policies that are close to our heart and what we represent towards the community. And to be honest i still find certain things needs changes in between and we must all be on an equal footing not create separation or disparities between.

-          What is your plan to recruit large and influential civil society groups to join the NCUC? Do you see any value in doing that?

The answer to this is yes and no. Yes we may need them but how much impact it is going to have on ICANN.ORG how much impact they will have on civil society. One of the most important factors is about sharing and understanding the same agenda and being able to follow the same rule books we do. Sometimes and i experienced it directly some not within ncuc but in a past life some of these organizations use their influence doing great and then with time goes to the detriment of the organisation and all other members. These are the ones we should perhaps bring on board but keep at arms length to ensure we are not overtaken for what we represent as a constituency. But again our challenges may not be the same as we go on. Some groups really do align largely to who we represent but some it is always different.

-          Can you name some large (global) civil society groups that you would like to see join the NCUC?
Actually there are so many out there doing great work that naming them would be useless. Because i can say that some NGOs out there in different countries are doing excellent jobs on privacy and are also impacting on policies of governments without even us explaining. The issue comes down to a bottom line. Do we understand our role and do we continue to statuate the old fashion or do we adapt to live on. I would say we need to adapt to live on and we need to do in in a careful manner that the constituency rips the benefit and so does its membership. As i said before we should walk as one front not divided in ourselves.

- Sometimes on the mailing list we don’t feel the difference between an individual member and someone who represents an organization. What do you think is the reason?
What is your strategy to make sure these representatives are conveying our work to their respective organizations?

I totally agree on this even i myself cannot determine at times which way it is coming from however i would want to to be able to differentiate between both. In fact i would want to institute a rule which clearly states the requirements on positions taken. Whether it is in their own names or organizational. In fact this is important. We are all members but the need to differentiate when we take personal or organisational view is important. I’ve seen the same issue with Policy development where you cannot even differentiate from one or other and speculations roll on each one and we just let go or we just get annoyed and let roll as we say.

Now whether they convey our messages back to their organisation is a bit of the challenge. When an organisation joins you normally have a few contacts or one contact on list. But like ICANN org does, i think it is more of time that we have our newsletters and status of policy and views available to those organizations. I don’t like to abuse the system by sending emailed newsletters. But a note saying this is where we are and what is going on is important and what our members are doing elsewhere that is of good cases to influence and learn from each other.  ICANN was built on the word Trust it wasn’t agreements or whatever before but it had to move the way forward as we know it today. We are at a crossroad that needs that trust again.

On the outset let me pull it to facts the EC is the one that makes most decisions the chair is there to facilitate and drive them to port when needed but we should noted never judge anyone, everyone is capable and i like team work and when teams don’t work it is and has the impact you do not want on the membership. The Chair position represents the views of each representative and i’ve learned to understand that. And i believe in what each Representative should do for each represented area. In my line of work i always have what we call an open door. I’ve worked for the big four for years and then moved to Academia and also worked closely with Government for that same time. I volunteered my time to NGOs because i believed in the causes one of them if ISOC, IGF and have been member volunteer for much more. It is more difficult to work with volunteers than with companies. Every member is here to weigh on something and believes in something that is where our foundations are.