[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate SOI - NCUC EC LAC - Bruna Martins dos Santos

Bruna Martins dos Santos bruna.mrtns at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 21:13:52 CEST 2017

Hello Arsène,

Thank you very much for your question! Its also a pleasure to work
alongside you!

On the "work for the benefit of NCUC in General instead of exclusively for
our regions", I hope I was misunderstood as the intend of getting elected
for working exclusively for the interests of the LAC region was not in my
statement. What I meant was the opportunity to continue with Renata's work
on bringing the LAC region voices for the enhancement of  NCUC. ICANN and
the NCUC itself are very broad communities with people from all around the
world, and I believe that when an individual gets elected for any
leadership position, he's representing his region and some of the claims of
the stakeholder he belongs to. Therefore, when in my SOI I mentioned my
will of ensuring that the LAC Region voices were heard in the EC it was
both an expectation to represent properly my community and to have a good
communication with them.

Regarding your question, I personally admire a lot the way NCUCs Executive
Committee was put together! Having members from different regions provides
the broader points of views to the group in general. For an instance, I
don't see myself voting for a workshop/NCUC outreach proposal exclusively
due to the fact that the member who suggested it is from my region, and I
strongly believe that neither the present EC or the other candidates are
willing to do something similar. To wrap up my answer, communication is key
for achieving a balanced and united EC, I am very honored to be a candidate
alongside so many excellent people and I don't see the prospective EC
having any problems regarding a possible division amongst its members if
everyone happens to only advocate for issues affecting their own regions.

Last but not least, I do agree that the EC has to think globally and this
is reachable due to the fact that its members can also present their
regional views!

Thank you very much for your question again!

Best,

Bruna

> [...]
> research lab on Public Policies and Internet at the University of Brasilia.
> On the academy note, I hold a BA in Law with experience in Internet
> Regulation, and am currently auditing classes at the University of
> Brasilia Law School Masters program. Last but not least, I am 26 years old
> and live in Brasilia, Brazil.
>
> For the past four years I have worked as a legal advisor at the Brazilian
> Government, covering Internet Governance issues and being responsible for
> issuing legal opinions on the implementation of the Access to Information
> Act. In that capacity, I have also participated in the organization of
> NetMundial and on the regulatory discussions regarding Brazilian Civil
> Rights Framework for the Internet
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Civil_Rights_Framework_for_the_Internet>
> and the Data Protection draft bill.
>
> Apart from my government background, I am alumni of the Brazilian School
> on Internet Governance (EGI.br <http://egi.br>), a Brazilian Internet
> Steering Committee fellow at the 9th Latin America and Caribbean Regional
> Preparatory Meeting for the Internet Governance Forum (LACIGF), an active
> member of the ISOCs SIG Group Youth Observatory <http://obdjuv.org> and
> an advocate for the inclusion of youth in policy-making processes regarding
> Internet Governance. I am also a contributor to the IGF's Best Practice
> Forum on Gender and Access as an independent researcher and one of the
> authors of the Young Latin American Women Declaration: Enabling access to
> empower young women and build a feminist Internet Governance, a statement
> addressing the importance of ensuring a safe online environment for women
> online. that also served as an input to the BPF Gender and was published
> on BestBits
> <http://bestbits.net/youth-observatory-statement-on-building-a-feminist-internet-governance/>.
> Apart from that, I also hold the position of Co-Coordinator of the Civil
> Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) and represent the ICG at the Civil
> Society Coordination Group <http://internetgov-cs.org> (CSCG).
>
> My involvement with ICANN started at ICANN58 when I was a first time
> fellow. One week prior to the Copenhagen meeting I had the chance to
> participate at the NCUC session at the Internet Freedom Festival that later
> resulted with me as an NCUC member. After the Copenhagen meeting, I was
> selected as NCUC fellow during ICANN59 and had the chance to engage with
> the New gTLD subsequent procedures PDP and also to make a short
> presentation on Geographical Names that was later transformed into a NCUC
> Blog Post
> <https://www.ncuc.org/2017/08/24/icann59-report-geographic-names-and-new-gtlds-in-the-center-of-internet-policymaking/>.

> Best,
> --
> *Bruna Martins dos Santos *
>
> +55 61 99252-6512 <+55%2061%2099252-6512>

*Bruna Martins dos Santos *

+55 61 99252-6512