[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate SOI - NCUC EC LAC - Bruna Martins dos Santos

Bruna Martins dos Santos bruna.mrtns at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 16:44:21 CEST 2017

Dear all,

Please find my SOI below (also available on google docs
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_wJ7EXDd9KFYxYnE9mBVo5GYhpqsQeb8X1lfuh0ZIko/edit?usp=sharing>)
Apologies for the size of it and I'd also like to make myself available for
answering to any questions.

___________________________________

NCUC and goals

I believe I'd be able to serve the NCUC Executive Committee as the LAC
Region representative due to the fact that for the past years I have been
an advocate for civil rights online and a democratic internet. Also, my
involvement with some brazilian initiatives for ensuring the rights of
citizens online such as the Brazilian Civil Rights Framework for the
Internet
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Civil_Rights_Framework_for_the_Internet>(Marco
Civil da Internet), the organization of Arena NETMundial, a side event for
the NetMundial directed at the Civil Society are good examples of my
engagement with Internet Governance subjects in my region. Broad
participation is one of my highest regards, groups can only profit from
voicing as many claims and realities as possible, therefore being able to
keep on ensuring that the LAC region voices continue to take part in NCUC
would be the first goal if I get elected.

As for my visions regarding NCUC and how my participation would be useful,
given the fact that my affinity with the group and what it advocates for, I
believe in making it even more participative through a few measures:

1. Communication: I think it would be important for the LAC members to be
aware of all the ways NCUC is acting in the region. Having said that, I'd
say that a good regional representative at the EC is the one who can pass
on information to his community on a monthly basis. By sharing information
on how to get involved, and where does the NCUC needs help, I believe we
can achieve even higher levels of engagement.

2. Outreach-inreach: given the fact that NCUC members are important
internet governance actors/researchers/activists in all of the different
regions of the globe, I think it is of utter importance for them to know
who else is alongside them and also who they could reach out to in any
subject they wish; I also admire a lot Renata's work during her term and
achieving her level of presence and participation is also a goal.
Therefore, if I were elected I'd also like to continue with her monthly
calls and activities regarding the mailing list in order to strengthen
NCUC's relation with the LAC community and for that I'd like to count with
my fellow LAC members !

Having worked in the field in the local level since 2009, Civil Society's
claims and the obstacles that activism often encounters such as lack of
space from governments are of my understandment.  Despite the fact that my
active participation at ICANN and NCUC is quite recent, Internet Governance
is not a new subject to me. I believe that I would be a good LAC Region
Representative at the Executive Committee due to the fact that Im willing
to advocate for a more inclusive and equal Internet and will also have the
will of continuing to pursue NCUC's participation within the IG community.

About me

My name is Bruna Martins dos Santos and I am a researcher at LAPIN, a
research lab on Public Policies and Internet at the University of Brasilia.
On the academy note, I hold a BA in Law with experience in Internet
Regulation, and am currently auditing classes at the University of Brasilia
Law School Masters program. Last but not least, I am 26 years old and live
in Brasilia, Brazil.

For the past four years I have worked as a legal advisor at the Brazilian
Government, covering Internet Governance issues and being responsible for
issuing legal opinions on the implementation of the Access to Information
Act. In that capacity, I have also participated in the organization of
NetMundial and on the regulatory discussions regarding Brazilian Civil
Rights Framework for the Internet
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Civil_Rights_Framework_for_the_Internet>
and the Data Protection draft bill.

Apart from my government background, I am alumni of the Brazilian School on
Internet Governance (EGI.br), a Brazilian Internet Steering Committee
fellow at the 9th Latin America and Caribbean Regional Preparatory Meeting
for the Internet Governance Forum (LACIGF), an active member of the ISOCs SIG
Group Youth Observatory <http://obdjuv.org> and an advocate for the
inclusion of youth in policy-making processes regarding Internet
Governance. I am also a contributor to the IGF's Best Practice Forum on
Gender and Access as an independent researcher and one of the authors of
the Young Latin American Women Declaration: Enabling access to empower
young women and build a feminist Internet Governance, a statement
addressing the importance of ensuring a safe online environment for women
online. that also served as an input to the BPF Gender and was published on
BestBits
<http://bestbits.net/youth-observatory-statement-on-building-a-feminist-internet-governance/>.
Apart from that, I also hold the position of Co-Coordinator of the Civil
Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) and represent the ICG at the Civil
Society Coordination Group <http://internetgov-cs.org> (CSCG).

My involvement with ICANN started at ICANN58 when I was a first time
fellow. One week prior to the Copenhagen meeting I had the chance to
participate at the NCUC session at the Internet Freedom Festival that later
resulted with me as an NCUC member. After the Copenhagen meeting, I was
selected as NCUC fellow during ICANN59 and had the chance to engage with
the New gTLD subsequent procedures PDP and also to make a short
presentation on Geographical Names that was later transformed into a NCUC
Blog Post
<https://www.ncuc.org/2017/08/24/icann59-report-geographic-names-and-new-gtlds-in-the-center-of-internet-policymaking/>.

*Bruna Martins dos Santos *

+55 61 99252-6512