[NCUC-DISCUSS] Nominations and Election for NCUC Exec Committee North America Rep

Michael Karanicolas michael at law-democracy.org
Mon May 1 00:45:09 CEST 2017

Hi all,

Thanks again for the nomination. I am attaching a short candidacy statement
below.

Best,

Michael

*1.    **Why do you want to serve on the EC?*

I think it’s vitally important to have a strong voice for civil society at
ICANN. Although I still consider myself a relative newcomer, my time here
has shown me the challenges inherent in advocating for policy positions
that serve the interests of non-commercial users, particularly where these
positions are opposed by well-funded and organised lobbyists. While
commercial stakeholders will always have the edge in terms of resources,
the NCUC represents a constituency which is vastly larger, meaning that
fundamentally our success or failure in advancing policy positions that
support freedom of expression and fundamental rights comes down to
organisation, outreach and mobilisation. Simply put, we need to be
effective at spreading the word for why what we are doing matters, and
expanding our base of engagement and support from those whose interests we
represent. As a veteran advocate and campaigner, I hope to be able to
contribute in this regard.

*2.    **Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and
affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the
relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC
Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might
have.*

Presently, I am employed as Senior Legal Officer for the Centre for Law and
Democracy (CLD), a Canadian-based international NGO whose mandate is to
promote foundational rights for democracy. My work at CLD includes a strong
focus on digital rights and transparency, the two major issues which
brought me to ICANN.

I have been involved with ICANN since mid-2015. In that time my main avenue
of engagement has been through the Workstream 2 Transparency Subgroup,
which I am Co-Rapporteur of. I’ve also recently become more engaged in the
Rights Protection Mechanisms Working Group. I have attended the last two
ICANNs, and plan to be in Johannesburg in June as well.

I have no conflicts to report.

*3.    **The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the
Constituency. What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role
on a weekly and overall basis? Describe any concerns or limitations on your
ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN
Meetings in person.*

My job involves a broad range of responsibilities, from training
journalists in emerging democracies to redrafting broadcast regulations.
Because Internet governance represents a subset of my overall work area,
ICANN’s time commitments can sometimes pose a challenge, though I am
confident of being able to  contribute as needed.

*4.    **Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep
members apprised of your EC-related activities?*

I think that outreach and communications are among the most important
functions of the EC, and I look forward to working to improve the
readability and accessibility of our messaging, particularly to those who
may not be readily familiar with ICANN’s alphabet soup of committees,
groups and processes.

*5.    **How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the
future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why?*

Openness and transparency are natural areas of focus for me, so I look
forward to examining how we manage our communications and finding ways to
make information about what we do more readily available.

The other priority, as I mentioned in my last answer, should be improving
the accessibility of ICANN’s processes, particularly to new or prospective
members, who may otherwise find themselves deterred by the complexity of
ICANN’s workings.