[NCUC-DISCUSS] Ines Hfaiedh Report on NCUC Participation at the Middle East DNS Forum Cairo, May 22-23, 2017

hfaiedh ines hfaiedh.ines2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 12:41:56 CEST 2017

Dear NCUC members,

Please find herewith my report on NCUC Participation at the Middle East DNS
Forum Cairo, May 22-23, 2017. I hope you will enjoy reading it and we hope
to publish it soon on our new NCUC website.

NCUC Participation at the Middle East DNS Forum Cairo, May 22-23, 2017
By Ines Hfaiedh

Between May 22-23, 2017, the Middle East DNS Forum 2017 was held in Cairo,
Egypt at Steigenberger Hotel El Tahrir.

ICANN, in partnership with the Internet Society (ISOC), is organizing the
fourth edition of the Middle East DNS Forum. The event, hosted by the
National Telecom Regulatory Authority (NTRA) of Egypt, will take place on
22 and 23 May under the theme "Strengthening Digitial Presence in the
Middle East".

The objective of this annual event is to bring together interested parties
from the region and world experts in the field, to share experiences and
update the audience on new developments in the domain industry on both a
global and regional level.

I represented NCUC by taking part in the "ICANN UPDATE" session with a
presentation on "User Rights in the Domain Name Space".
The session was moderated by Luna Madi, Director at EMEA Communications
within ICANN  and we discussed:

ICANN MEAC Strategy presented by Fahd Batayneh | Stakeholder Engagement
Manager, Middle East | ICANN

ICANN Africa Strategy presented by Bob Ochieng | Stakeholder Engagement
Manager, Africa | ICANN

ICANN Policy Development presented by Amr El-Sadr | Policy Development
Manager | ICANN

KSK Rollover presented by Edward Lewis | Senior Technologist | ICANN

I showed NCUC place in the ICANN Governance System by explaining how we
contribute to ICANN policy through Policy statements, Policy making groups
 and running for elections to become Councilors at the Generic Name
Supporting Organization (GNSO) Council.

I also demonstrated how we participate by making policies related to
generic domain names and advancing these principles:
Freedom of Expression/ Access to Knowledge
Privacy and Data Protection
Human Rights
Discuss Internet Governance
Development

With NCUC Chair's assistance, Farzaneh Badiei, I tried to highlight "How
can NCUC address noncommercial  users rights in domain space from a MEAC
regional perspective".

I highlighted Badiei's initiative of creating an NCUC sub-group within MEAC
SWG with the mission of   "Assisting the WG with Strategy Implementation
activities and targeting the noncommercial users rights in particular".