[NCUC-DISCUSS] Nomcom

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 03:52:32 CEST 2017

Hi

> On Jul 30, 2017, at 04:21, Stephanie Perrin <stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
> I do agree with Dorothy that this is not a popularity contest....we have two great candidates, and the exec cttee will have to figure out what the job demands and pick the better candidate in their best judgement.  I recommend they ask Bill and Brenden, our two most recent Nomcom reps, to tell them the challenges of the role. It would not hurt to discuss exactly what we want out of Nomcom, and what kind of candidates we think we need for all the appointees.

I can only re-state what I’ve said on the list on multiple occasions over the past couple years and on the call the other day.

There is a great deal of strategic interaction going on in NomCom selection processes.  To work effectively as the sole civil society rep in a large group, the NCUC rep must

1) be well familiarized with the various SOAC groups that make up the community, and their respective historical orientations, leadership requirements (since you’re appointing their ‘leaders'), preferences, and interrelationships (so you can recognize the coalitions being formed around decisions, on the fly)
2) know and be known/respected by the SOAC’s representatives so you can build relationships of trust and have your views be taken seriously on their merits rather than as just special pleading for one tribe’s interests (NomCom is supposed to select people with the interests of the community as a whole at heart, not just the members’ respective groups)
3) have the skills needed to build coalitions, lobby, and adjust tactics quickly in real time as voting landscape shifts
4) have extensive personal networks in the ICANN and IG spaces and beyond so you can encourage good people to go through the work of applying and seeing the process through, and can explain the processes to them so expectations don’t get out of line with reality

The NCUC EC has to take these sorts of consideration into account when making a selection.  The decision has to be on professional grounds, not personal.

Cheers

Bill