[NCUC-DISCUSS] How Threats Against Domain Names Are Used to Censor Content

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 07:21:47 CEST 2017

Hi

Thanks Jeremy, this is excellent.  We have not done enough over the years on ‘consumer’ issues narrowly defined, have never been able to muster the needed people will bandwidth to spare, so this helps fill a gap.  Hope we can draw the ICANN community’s attention to the work.

Best

Bill

> On Jul 28, 2017, at 00:24, Jeremy Malcolm <jmalcolm at eff.org> wrote:
>
> Today EFF and Public Knowledge are releasing a whitepaper titled "Which
> Internet registries offer the best protection for domain owners?"  Since
> 2003 when hundreds of new domains have come onto the market, there has
> never been more choice for domain name registrants. But apart from
> choosing a name that sounds right and is easy to remember, a domain name
> registrant should also consider the policies of the registry that
> operates the domain, and those of the registrar that sells it to them. ...
>
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/07/how-threats-against-domain-names-used-censor-content
>
> --
> Jeremy Malcolm
> Senior Global Policy Analyst
> Electronic Frontier Foundation
> https://eff.org
> jmalcolm at eff.org
>
> Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161
>
> :: Defending Your Rights in the Digital World ::
>
> Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
> PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  www.williamdrake.org