[NCUC-DISCUSS] Intersessional meeting

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Sun Jul 23 14:19:20 CEST 2017

Hi Farzaneh,
Thank you for inviting our feedback on the value of the intersessional.
I had the good fortune of participating in this year's intersessional in Reykjavík and found it to be an effective forum for fostering inter-NCPH understanding. Remote participation is not yet a substitute for face-to-face meetings like this one where the focus is less about the formal agenda and more about understanding the perspectives of others who we do not ordinarily have significant interaction with. I thought that the intersessional's format, complete with breakout sessions and frequent interventions during the plenaries, really worked. For this reason, I strongly support our continued participation in this forum. (In the event that we decided not to participate, would the meeting simply go ahead with the CSG participating and meeting with ICANN staff without us? It just makes sense to me that we be at the table too.)
That said, for a number of reasons I thought Iceland was not the most sensible pick for the meeting this year. Rotating the meeting between ICANN’s three hubs – Los Angeles, Singapore, and Istanbul – makes a lot more sense to me than wasting resources scouting out a new location year upon year. And of course there are no objections on my part to your condition that our participating representatives attend well-prepared and ready to contribute.
Best wishes,

Ayden Férdeline
[linkedin.com/in/ferdeline](http://www.linkedin.com/in/ferdeline)