[NCUC-DISCUSS] Zuan Zhang (Peter Green)

Herb Waye herb.waye at icann.org
Wed Jul 5 20:13:22 CEST 2017

Rafik, should my attempt to post this email to the ncuc-discuss list fail could you please post it for me. Regards Herb

Dear NCUC Members,

Following up on emails posted to this list I have made further inquiries regarding the NCUC EC decision to request Zuan Zhang’s (Peter Green) resignation from the EC, in hopes to clarify the situation.

I have made further inquiries with ICANN and determined that Zuan participated in the initial three meetings of the Security Framework Drafting Team but ceased participation when the question of a conflict of interest was raised. He immediately attempted to determine with ICANN whether he could participate on the drafting team and be a member of the NCUC EC at the same time. I can confirm that Zuan contacted ICANN twice and requested a clarification whether as a member of the NCUC EC he could participate on the drafting team. The email requests to ICANN went unanswered and as a result Zuan fully ceased participation at that point rather than place his status with the NCUC EC in jeopardy. Unfortunately, Zuan’s name remained on the participation roster of volunteers for the working group despite his non-participation.

I hope this clears up any remaining confusion.

I sincerely, once again, wish to thank everyone for their cooperation in this investigation and would like to advise, with agreement from Zuan, that I now consider this complaint closed.

Respectfully yours,

Herb Waye

Herb Waye
ICANN Ombudsman

https://www.icann.org/ombudsman
https://www.facebook.com/ICANNOmbudsman
Twitter: @IcannOmbudsman

ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior:
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/expected-standards-15sep16-en.pdf
Community Anti-Harassment Policy
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/community-anti-harassment-policy-2017-03-24-en
Confidentiality
All matters brought before the Ombudsman shall be treated as confidential.  The Ombudsman shall also take all reasonable steps necessary to preserve the privacy of, and to avoid harm to, those parties not involved in the complaint being investigated by the Ombudsman.The Ombudsman shall only make inquiries about, or advise staff or Board members of the existence and identity of, a complainant in order to further the resolution of the complaint.  The Ombudsman shall take all reasonable steps necessary to ensure that if staff and Board members are made aware of the existence and identity of a complainant, they agree to maintain the confidential nature of such information, except as necessary to further the resolution of a complaint