[NCUC-DISCUSS] Power and communication: unexpected drains

Michael Oghia mike.oghia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 07:04:12 CEST 2017

Hi DeeDee,

Good morning, forgive my belated response to your email. Thank you for
sharing this article, as I am increasingly focusing on (what I am referring
to as) "sustainable access" – basically the ability for any user to connect
to the Internet and then stay connected over time.

Unfortunately, the article you found, while good, is from 2009 and is
terribly outdated. On the other hand, I wrote a similar piece earlier this
year that explores these concepts in greather depth:
www.circleid.com/posts/20170321_shedding_light_on_how_much_energy_internet_and_ict_consume/

Ultimately, there is a lot of missing information but there are many
sustainable ICT researchers as well as others across stakeholder groups
working on this issue. Should anyone be interested in learning more or
would like more information or resources, feel free to ping me.

Best,
-Michael