[NCUC-DISCUSS] US Senate Testimony

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Thu Jan 19 01:01:24 CET 2017

Hi everybody,

 The US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation held a
confirmation hearing today on the appointment of Wilbur Ross to the
position of Secretary of Commerce.

 Senator Ted Cruz asked Mr. Ross his views about the decision of the Obama
administration to transfer control of the IANA function and ICANN to a
"consortium of foreign countries, including countries like Russia, Chin and
Iran".

 Mr. Ross responded:

 " As such a big market and as, really, the inventors of the internet, I'm
a little bit surprised that we seem to be essentially voiceless in the
governance of that activity. That strikes me as an intellectually incorrect
solution, but I'm not aware of what its is that we actually can do right
now to deal with that. It exists. If some realistic alternative comes up
I'd be very interested to help explore it."

 We now have the initial reaction of the incoming administration to the
transition.

 The hearing is archived here:
http://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/hearings?ID=D31485C6-69E7-4A
A5-A9B4-1025C364B3DF . The question of Senator Cruz about the transition
and the response of Mr. Ross begins at 3:08:20.

 Interesting times.

 Kind Regards,

 Ed Morris