[NCUC-DISCUSS] [important] Adoption of the copyright ADRP by PIR

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Wed Feb 22 20:38:43 CET 2017

Farzi,

Tx for raising this. Tx to Jeremy and Mitch for their leadership in
responding to PIR and the Domain Name Association's massive incursion
into closed processes, private law and complete violation of due process.

I want to share that the NCUC community is already in the press. Here
are some quotes from yesterday's Communications Daily (a private US
publication):

-- Mitch Stoltz/EFF: To begin setting up private nonjudicial bodies to
pass judgement on the content of websites is a very dangerous step. The
sorts of determinations, if the happen at all, must happen in court. If
you create a private arbitration process for copyright claims on the
internet wielding power of domain suspension, then why not one for
criticizing [President] Donald Trump?"

-- Kathy (me): "Taking down an entire domain name [for specific
copyright acts] is like pulling a tree up by the roots when you only
need to cut down a branch to address the infringement. Traditionally,
copyright takedowns are done narrowly, with [Digital Millennium
Copyright Act] notices targeting a special piece of content. The type of
practice [DNA is proposing] could be a massive violation of free speech."

-- Phil Corwin (of the Business Constituency) shared that: Multiple
people present at the Generic Names Support Organization Council
Non-Contracted Parties House meeting last week had "signification
concerns" about the [PIR/DNA] proposal.

Please post other articles and quotes!

Best, Kathy