[NCUC-DISCUSS] NomCom February Report Card

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Tue Feb 21 07:55:27 CET 2017

Hi

> On Feb 20, 2017, at 18:29, Brenden Kuerbis <bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org> wrote:
>
> First, a bit of an apology for not updating everyone sooner.  ICANN published the Request for Proposals on Jan 19:
>
> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/rfp-nomcom-review-19jan17-en.pdf <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/rfp-nomcom-review-19jan17-en.pdf>
>
> In it there is language addressing the issues raised above:
>
> B. Accountability and transparency to the public
> How can the NomCom selection process be improved, including but not limited to transparency, accountability, diversity and representativeness?
> C. NomCom Composition, membership processes and participation
> Does the outcome of the selection processes of the various SO/ACs to the NomCom, including those of the GNSO’s Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies, lead to a functional, diverse, and representative NomCom?
> Does representation in the current NomCom structure appropriately match ICANN’s goals of diversity and representativeness – if not, how could the structure of the NomCom change to reflect that remit better?
>
> So while the eventual methodological approach may vary, I would expect the selected Independent Assessor to confront diversity questions in its report and to collect and analyze historical data. And once the research begins I would especially encourage anyone interviewed to raise their concerns.
>
> Just an additional note about timeline.  ICANN is currently receiving and reviewing responses, the Working Party is expecting to get an update on that process sometime during the Copenhagen meeting.

Thanks Brenden, good to know. Hopefully the working party provides good input throughout the process and is able to keep the consultant focused.

Re: B) I’ve argued that the NC ought to be getting more input from across the community (e.g. not just the Board) about the desired skill sets and characteristics of appointees, perhaps an open comment page if a series of meetings is too complicated, but I’m just one member... Hopefully the WP can consider options here too.

I would also suggest that people interested in these matters take advantage of the one thing we do have now, which is the public NomCom meeting.  The full schedule for Copenhagen is now up at https://schedule.icann.org and this is set for Sunday, March 12, 3:15pm - 4:45pm.

Best

Bill