[NCUC-DISCUSS] Discussion with ICANN CEO

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 00:19:11 CET 2017

Hi Farzaneh,

thanks for the summary,

> All,
>
> I had the 1:1 conversation with Goran today. These are my notes and
> interpretations so be bear in mind that I might be wrong in my
> interpretation.
>

>  - at the implementation level sometimes they face problems in
> implementing the policies.There should be a process ( after consultation
> with the community) to bring back these implementation problems and talk to
> community about them. (this was my interpretation). On this point I raised
> the issue that: our consensus policy should not be undermined if they bring
> it back to the community. In essence it should not substantially change. He
> assured us that he will not take any action without consulting with the
> community.

for usual Policy Development Processes, there is usally the implemenation
review team to follow the implementation and come back to GNSO council when
there is issue or question. I am not enough familiar with the ongoing for
the CWG and CCWG but I think there is something similar with the IOTF. It
is good that you raised the point about consensis policies since there were
several issues with GDD implementation of those policies and how it
interpreted them. it is good to hear such assurances from him.

- ICANN as a whole (org and community) should have clarity and visibility
> in its processes and multistakeholder mechanisms should be clear.
>
> - Diversity is important and that ICANN org will implement community
> decisions. We need to be proactive in coming up with ideas and criteria for
> bringing diversity. The WS2 on diversity was specifically mentioned.

diversity work is with WS2 diversity subgroup and I am co-rapporteur there,
we are making some progress and trying to get community input about
diversity and what mechanisms the different groups are impementing. we also
got several stats on diversity from ICANN staff.

Best,

Rafik