[NCUC-DISCUSS] Meeting with ICANN CEO

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 06:12:44 CET 2017

Thanks for contributing here is what I am going to cover:

I will give a background on  NCUC, its role at ICANN and the positive
contributions we have made and correct misperceptions if there are any:

I included ( among other things) Our executive committee consists of
elected members from various regions and the majority are women. We are
championing the multi stakeholder model in various forums regionally and
internationally. We are active members of various working groups and have
leading roles (chair, rapporteurs, drafting and writing).

Opinions:

-we  would like to know more about steps that ICANN org will take to live
up to the new human rights core value if the FOI is approved and this could
be a discussion in Copenhagen. NCUC members are ready to help ICANN org
with taking initiatives to live up to HR core value.

- that consensus policy continues to be undermined by ICANN counsel and
staff. We are seeing  work which ignores and shunts aside Consensus
Policies - particularly those balances and compromises that protect
noncommercial registrants and especially noncommercial speech, free
expression and trademark fair use online - in other areas as well. It makes
it very difficult and frustrating for volunteers to spend hundreds of hours
negotiating policies that are then thrown out, limited or circumvented by
other means available to ICANN.

- I will make the point why it is absolutely essential that the GNSO
continue to be structured in a way that balances commercial and
noncommercial and contracted and non-contracted parties, and why board and
GAC interference with GNSO consensus policies after the fact is a bad thing.

- The travel ban and its effect on traveling to ICANN meetings- We think
ICANN should have taken a stronger stand in objecting the travel ban. We
also think that ICANN should focus on how it can mitigate the harm that
could be potentially done on participation of ICANN community and ICANN org
in ICANN meeting

- At present, some members who are involved with various policy developing
groups have observed that their work is undermined by ICANN org and
sometimes other groups within ICANN governance.  We want to investigate
opportunities and channels for "enhanced cooperation" among stakeholders
and constituencies based on an understanding that without a strong
non-commercial constituency/civil society ICANN will fail to implement its
mission.

- Diversity and international community participation especially from
developing countries in ICANN meetings as well as their participation in
policy development are important for us and we think that choosing ICANN
location should be done with care and understanding diversity needs.

- We want ICANN to discuss and inform the community about a pressing issue:
Given the political transition with the new administration, we want to know
how ICANN  envision its relationship with the Department of Commerce going
forward.

and I will Invite him to constituency day

Farzaneh