[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC submission to WSIS

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Sat Dec 16 09:53:56 CET 2017

Thanks very much for drafting this proposal, Renata. I have made some suggested edits to the text. These are stylistic, and not substantive, in nature. I think this is a good topic and WSIS is the right venue for it to take place. However, I am concerned by one paragraph in the proposal which says that, "civil society has been a participant with misleading information and positions on this debate". I am uncomfortable with this language. I sometimes think civil society is its own worst enemy; for reasons that we all know, we lack coordination, but I do not think we have presented misleading information on this topic. We do not have a common position, however this is not to say the information that has been put forward was not done so in good faith. We might want to see if we can develop a common position for WSIS, though. If we have a clear 'ask' for the Outcome Document, that would be better than presenting too many competing, and possibly contradicting, arguments. Just an idea...

—Ayden