[NCUC-DISCUSS] Summary of the NCSG ExCom Call 28th July 2017

Zalnieriute, Monika Monika.Zalnieriute at EUI.eu
Wed Aug 2 19:52:04 CEST 2017

Dear NCUC members,

I am writing to You as NCUC Representative to the NCSG Executive Committee, to provide summaries of the decisions and discussion that have taken place within our meetings.

By the way of background, the NCSG Executive Committee is responsible for working with the NCSG Chair to make sure the NCSG functions according to its mission and principles. The NCSG-EC is responsible for supervising and monitoring the NCSG Chair’s performance of executive functions, and the NCSG-EC may call for a new chair election. The NCSG‑EC is also responsible for establishing and overseeing membership criteria, rules, as well as reviewing and approving applications to form new Constituencies in accordance with the Section 2.3 of the NCSG Charter and any applicable Constituency Recognition Process approved by the ICANN Board of Directors. The NCSG-EC’s formation, functions, composition and duties within the NCSG are set out in Section 2.4 of the NCSG Charter.

The NCSG EC had a call on the 28th July2017, and I am writing to update You all on what has been discussed and decided.

The following EC members participated in the meeting:

1.     Joan Kerr, NPOC Rep

2.     Robin Gross, NCUC Rep

3.     Monika Zalnieriute, NCUC Rep

4.     Tapani Tarvainen, NCUC (NCSG Chair)

As EC operates on a basis of full consensus, the decisions made on the 28th July are pending Poncelet Ileleji (NPOC) approval/possible objection, as they he was not participating in the meeting and could not express his opinions.

During this meeting, the EC:

1.     Discussed and approved a number of new membership applications.

2.     Agreed an election timeline for the current NCSG election:

July 31  nomination period begins
Aug  13  nomination period ends
Aug  17  voter roll finalized, check-in ends
Aug  18  deadline for nomination acceptance
Aug  19  deadline for candidate statements
Aug  21  voting begins
Sep   3  voting ends
Sep   4  results announced

3.     Discussed a number of issues about the NCSG elections, such as multiple voting, NOTA/abstentions and gender balance, that have not been resolved or at least not documented in the past. Summary of the issues discussed:

•       Multiple voting

As already reported by the NCSG Chair on the NCSG list, currently NCSG and GNSO rules allow people who are both individual members as well as official representatives of an organization to vote in both capacities.  NCSG EC discussed the multiple voting concerns and concluded that changing the voting rules should not be done during the election process which is already taking place, so in these elections such people can vote in both roles, if they so choose. The EC expressed intent to open the issue up after current elections and make an explicit rule about it. Some details can be found in this message in election-reform list:
https://lists.ncsg.is/pipermail/election-reform/2017-June/000021.html

•       NotA / Abstentions

NCSG EC further agreed that there shall be no explicit NotA choice in the ballot, but abstaining, that is voting for fewer candidates than there're available slots, will not invalidate the ballot.

•       Gender Balance rules

The EC has discussed and approved a concrete procedure for applying the NCSG Charter Rules (§3.1) regarding gender balance on the GNSO Council. These rules and a concrete procedure could be found here
https://lists.ncsg.is/pipermail/election-reform/2017-July/000022.html

•       Future Election Reform Works:

The EC decided to leave the remaining issues to be worked out after current election, and do a quick ad hoc decision if some issue becomes acute.

For reference, you can see a list of election reform issues so far identified here:
https://lists.ncsg.is/pipermail/election-reform/2017-May/000002.html

The list is not exhaustive, and if anybody has ideas of other things to be addressed, they'd be most welcome (either on the NCSG mailing list, or in election-reform list). It is important that the views of the NCUC are represented in this process.

Discussion about ways to modify/clarify our election procedures are taking place on the dedicated NCSG mailing list, those interested please join the mailings list.

4.     NCSG EC has accepted Ed Morris's resignation from the NCSG.

5.     Appointed Dr. Tatiana Tropina as a temporary replacement to the GNOS Council, after Ed Morris has resigned from his position as a NSCG Councillor to the GNSO Council. Congratulations to Tatiana, who will do a great job on the GNSO Council.

6.     Joan Kerr (NPOC Rep) informed the NCSG Executive Committee that both NPOC Reps (Joan Kerr and Poncelet Ileleji) will be replaced by the new NPOC Representatives, who will work on the NCSG ExCom immediately. The new NPOC Reps to the NCSG Executive Committee are:

•       Gangadhar Panday and

•       Raoul Plommer.

If You have any questions regarding any of the above mentioned issues, please feel free to contact me or another NCUC Rep, Robin Gross, and we will do our best to answer them / direct to relevant information sources,

Thank you all,

Best wishes,

Dr Monika Zalnieriute,

Your NCUC Rep to NCSG Executive Committee

Kind regards,

Dr. Monika Zalnieriute

Post-Doctoral Fellow @ Melbourne Law School |

The University of Melbourne I law.unimelb.edu.au I

185 Pelham St, Carlton VIC 3053, Australia I

Visiting Fellow @ Center for Media, Data and Society I

Central European University I cmds.ceu.edu I

Representative @ Executive Committee I

Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group I ICANN I icann.org I

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited without the express permission of the sender. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.