[NCUC-DISCUSS] [Election] NCUC election for 2017

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 21:03:15 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

It is time for NCUC to hold its annual election for Chair and Executive
Committee for 2017. For this year, we are also going to vote for the
amended charter. I. Positions The positions to be filled are: 1. Chair
[currently held by Rafik Dammak, was elected to GNSO council] 2. EC –
Europe [currently held by Farzaneh Badii, eligible for another term]
3. EC - Africa [currently held by Grace Githaiga, term limited] 4. EC –
Asia/Australia/Pacific [currently vacant] 5. EC – North America [currently
held by Milton Mueller, eligible for reelection] 6. EC – Latin America/
Caribbean [currently held by João Carlos R. Caribe, eligible for
reelection] Biographies on the current members are available from
http://www.ncuc.org/governance/executive-committee/

NCUC EC really needs committed volunteers who are willing to donate a few
hours a week to collaboration in order to help ensure that civil society's
voice is heard in ICANN. The EC’s responsibilities are administrative
management, in-reach and outreach, and interfacing with ICANN’s staff and
community as needed. NCUC Chair has also several duties and roles to
fulfill. If you think that you or someone you know would be well suited to
the tasks involved, then please consider nominating accordingly.

NCUC Bylaws Amendments Approval

The election will also concern the approval of the new NCUC charter.
According to article VIII of the current NCUC bylaws:

"*Charter amendments shall be passed if at least two thirds of the votes
cast in the election favor its adoption (provided 40% or more of the
eligible Voters cast a ballot in the election).*"

Because of the charter amendment, we really need a good turnout and
participation of our membership in the vote,

The information about the ballot, how to vote and cast ballot would be
shared later.

II. Timetable The process begins this coming Monday, 31st October. The
timetable will be as follows:

31 Oct. - 13 Nov.:  Nominations period , nomination to be submitted to NCUC
list
14 Nov-20 November:    Candidates submit statements to NCUC list ,
including the candidates/members call
21 Nov. - 4 Dec:  Election period / charter vote
5 Dec: Results announcement

During the first two-week period, any member can self-nominate or nominate
any other member http://www.ncuc.org/about/members/.

In the second period, the nominees must notify colleagues via the mail list
whether they accept the nomination, and if they do, submit a candidate
statement (see below) .

At the voting period, ballots will be emailed from this email address
tally at icann.org . Staff will then run the tally software and announce the
vote, and the new EC will be set up soon thereafter. Only those who
check-in and included in the voters list will receive the ballot.

III. Participation

We will conduct a quick check-in process to build the voter list, similar
to the process done for NCSG election. The process will start soon. You
just need to respond to the email to be considered as active and added to
the voters list.

if you would like to correct current email address in our data base in
order for staff to send you a ballot. So within the next couple weeks,
Maryam Bakoshi will send mail to every address in our data base asking for
a reply email confirming that it is the valid address for the individual
member or organizational representative listed at
http://www.ncuc.org/about/members/ . Please make sure that her message does
not get lost in a spam filter. Her address maryam.bakoshi at icann.org
Statements For the statement, the nominated candidate should answer: 1. Why
do you want to serve on the EC? 2. Provide a brief biography of recent
experience, associations, and affiliations relevant to serving on the
Executive Committee. Describe the relevance of your personal and
professional experience to serve on the NCUC Executive Committee, and
identify any conflicts of interests you might have. 3. The EC performs
several functional responsibilities for the Constituency. What level of
time commitment can you bring to your EC role on a weekly and overall
basis? Describe any concerns or limitations on your ability to attend
online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN Meetings in person. 4.
Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep members
apprised of your EC-related activities? 5. How do you foresee NCUC’s
function, scale, or role changing in the future? What areas of ICANN
policy, if any, need more attention and why? Incumbent candidates should
answer in a manner that is both backward and forward looking, i.e. taking
note of their contributions and work in the previous year. The statements
should be relatively concise, e.g. a couple paragraphs per question. V.
"Meet the Candidates” confcall

In the week prior to the voting period, we will organize a confcall for the
membership to ask candidates. The date/time will be decided and shared
during that week.

There will be further communication to give more details about the process
and responding to your questions and inquiries.

Best Regards,

Rafik Dammak

NCUC chair