[NCUC-DISCUSS] Proposals for Rightscon

Louise Marie Hurel louise.marie.hsd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 13:36:42 CET 2016

Hi Farzi,

I support proposal 1 and 3 - agree with Ayden and Avri's point.
Please let me know if you need any help, I would be glad to assist.

All the best,

> Hopefully if you do a topic similar to what happened in Hyderabad, you
> will have someone in the lead better informed about ICANN and better able
> to hold his/her own amongst registrars and registries than the EFF
> representative was.  I like Mitch and I like EFF but his take on the issue
> failed to distinguish properly between truly private contracting and
> ICANN-attributable policy making and he got his butt kicked as a result.
>

> I’d be happy to help keep such a panel properly focused and aware of the
> nuances of the issue.
>

> --MM
>

> *From:* Ncuc-discuss [mailto:ncuc-discuss-bounces at lists.ncuc.org] *On
> Behalf Of *Rafik Dammak
>
> I think the proposal 3 can be something similar to High Interest Topic
> session we had in Hyderabad (https://schedule.icann.org/
> event/8g4p/dns-and-content-regulation-ncuc-group) . that is definitely
> needs some changes and adjustment to the formats used in Rightscon.
>

> for this year edition of rightscon, we had session about Domain names
> policies in general with Robin and Mitch from EFF. We covered  new gTLD,
> whois, UDRP etc https://rightscon.sched.org/event/6Ih0/never-
> underestimate-domain-names-policies. so a more specific topic would be
> helpful and natural continuity of what we did before.
>

> Best,
>

> Rafik

> Hi Farzy, hi Ayden
>
> (and hi all)
>
> Agree that the 3rd proposal might fit the best - it's one of our current
> concerns at ICANN but it also has a much broader implications than within
> ICANN spaces (and you put it into a broader perspective of IG anyway).
> There are already enough examples how voluntary practices (including
> content regulation) can become commonly accepted guidelines and then
> binding obligations. Very timely topic - we all know this; should be a very
> interesting session.
>
> I find Ayden's proposal also worth to discuss. It will be a more focused
> topic since there is a lot to discuss already but also a forward looking
> theme to submit. Could be a great choice.
>
> If we are to submit a couple of them, I think proposal number 3 would be
> my top choice, and then either RDS/WHOIS and number two (on MS model) from
> you.
>
> Ready to take part in further elaborating if necessary. I also hope there
> will be NCUC members available to carry out the outreach at the Rightscon,
> assume this is also the idea behind the submission?
>
> Thanks for bringing this forward!
>
> Cheers
>
> Tanya
>

> On 25/11/16 16:02, Ayden Férdeline wrote:
>
> Thanks for putting forward these proposals, Farzi. I like proposals 2 and
> 3 the most, but of those two, I feel like proposal 3 would be the better
> fit for Rightscon.
>

> Another idea would be to convene a panel on the state of the Registration
> [...]

LOUISE MARIE HUREL

*Researcher*

Center for Technology and Society at Getúlio Vargas Foundation

Center for Political and Strategic Studies at the Naval War College - Brazil
Skype: louise.dias
+55 21 993 239 787
louise.marie.hsd at gmail.com