[NCUC-DISCUSS] Proposals for Rightscon

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Fri Nov 25 16:02:18 CET 2016

Thanks for putting forward these proposals, Farzi. I like proposals 2 and 3 the most, but of those two, I feel like proposal 3 would be the better fit for Rightscon.

Another idea would be to convene a panel on the state of the Registration Directory Service; where the WHOIS protocol has come from, what WHOIS is today, why it is problematic from the perspective of privacy, and how it is evolving – for better or for worse.

I think that Rightscon would a great forum for this conversation to take place, because it attracts a diverse audience of policy and advocacy professionals who are fighting censorship, mass surveillance, and Internet access obstacles in different regions of the world. This is an audience that is as committed as we are to protecting vulnerable populations from cyber attacks, doxing, and swatting – all behaviours that the WHOIS protocol, in its present form, unfortunately harbours – and it would be great to have these voices on our side, ideally participating in future public consultation exercises on how the RDS evolves.

Best wishes,

Ayden Férdeline
[linkedin.com/in/ferdeline](http://www.linkedin.com/in/ferdeline)