[NCUC-DISCUSS] NomCom Review

avri doria avri at apc.org
Fri Nov 25 13:33:49 CET 2016

On 25-Nov-16 06:53, Raoul Plommer wrote:
> For example, why are the registries and registrars not part of the BC,
> although they are also clearly participating ICANN with commercial
> interests?

This is is both easy and hard to answer.

For better or worse, ICANN works on the first division of Contracted
Parties from Non Contracted parties.  So that is the easy answer.

Why it was divided this way may be a more complicated question to
answer.  But this is one of the things we probably can do nothing about,
especially in regard to Nomcom.

It should be noted that if there were more noncommercial registries and
registrars, they would still be within the RySG and RrSG not the NCSG,
though they then could assert their presence in those areas and might
indeed end up being NCSG allies.  In fact we often are in common cause
with them and in fact some of the funding NCUC gets is from a
noncommerical Registry.

avri

---