[NCUC-DISCUSS] NomCom Review

David Cake dave at davecake.net
Fri Nov 25 12:08:55 CET 2016

I’d like to echo comments from Ayden, Tatiana, and James.

Non-commercials are not the only group within ICANN that volunteers beyond their paid role - some of us are paid for our work for NCSG, some of us do commercial work (directly or indirectly connected to our ICANN work) as well, some of us have even bounced back and forward between employment by other sectors of the community (or even ICANN itself), it does not diminish our work or our commitment whether we are paid or unpaid, but nor does it make us uniquely morally untainted. Non-commercial civil society is a very broad sector with a broad range of views and concerns, and many of us represent organisations that have a more specific remit than simply wanting the best possible internet - and there is nothing wrong with that, that is the nature of including all non-commercial civil society.

What we do at ICANN must be focussed on ICANN issues (and it is natural that we can disagree somewhat on exactly what ICANNs role is, as other stakeholders also do), mostly names and numbers and the DNS, and we do so in a multistakeholder way, that means we must seek consensus with other participants. Ayden is absolutely correct in pointing out ICANNs limited remit here, and that the very nature of multi-stakeholder participation means we should be accepting the validity of the participation of other stakeholders.

I think our position on NomCom is not in any way based on the idea that NCSG is a special group with a special role, merely that it is under-represented compared to other groups that the current NomCom process does treat differently for historical reasons. When ICANN gives other groups higher representation than others, it needs special justification - sometimes that may be justified (e.g. registries are treated differently in the CSC, but the argument there is that registries are direct customers of PTI), I think we agree that arguments for the current balance of NomCom are weak at best, more likely and historical accidents that should be corrected.

I think the idea that commercial stakeholders are more likely to be bought off corruptly is an unfortunate implication that should be rejected strongly. People volunteer for a broad range of reasons, and many commercial volunteers (and government, for that matter) volunteer for relatively altruistic reason well beyond their commercial interests.

David