[NCUC-DISCUSS] NomCom Review

Raoul Plommer plommer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 09:01:35 CET 2016

Look at Facebook in China
<https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/23/facebook-secret-software-censor-user-posts-china>.
It's throwing its human right principles out of the window, to get access
to the chinese marketplace. We, in the NCSG community, have given them the
possibility to DO business in the first place, with our pesky whining of
freedom of speech and privacy for the last hundreds of years. That's
allowed them to do business in a society where people can express
themselves according to the restrictions set by the governments. I think
there could easily be registries and registrars bowing down to the human
rights restrictions for making business, set by China, making them all our
opponents in the coming battles.

This is why they should be giving more credit to us as an SG. We are proven
to foster freedom and equality, that makes businesses and states flourish.
Especially losing the academic seat is outrageous, for it's really the most
consistent constituency that is based on peer-reviewed research. I think
I'd be happy with getting that one back, on top of the NPOC seat.

-Raoul