[NCUC-DISCUSS] ICANN Community Anti-Harassment Policy Comment Period

Niels ten Oever lists at digitaldissidents.org
Wed Nov 16 05:00:10 CET 2016

Milton,

On 11/16/2016 06:55 AM, Mueller, Milton L wrote:
> Here are some of my views on the Anti-harassment policy

No, simply no. This means that the word of a victim, or even a group of
victims, would not be sufficient for a claim. Miltons proposal would
make this statement wweaker than what we have in much applicable law.

>> No discussion is made for privacy of any of the participants in the
>> procedure description. I don't have any recommendations here, but
>> it seems like it should be explicitly addressed.
>
> Not a helpful observation unless you do have a recommendation to
> make.

Sigh. Of course comments without proposals are helpful.

Maybe something like: during the research the ombudsperson will keep the
personal identifiable information of the people involved confidential.

>> I REALLY LIKE the list documenting what harassment is. As I
>> understand it, that is best practice in codes of conduct these
>> days. It makes it better for
>
> I don't.

I do

> I think the list is absurd. Also, keep  in mind that it
> "include[s], but are not limited to" the list of things, so it's
> entirely open-ended.

Do you have a proposal to describe all possible forms of harassment?

> One obvious problem with the list is that some
> of the bullet points have no reference to whether the conduct is
> undesired or not. Specifically, bullets 1, 2, 5, 7, and 8. "Kissing,
> fondling, hugging, stroking someone’s hair, or brushing against
> another’s body" is perfectly OK if the person on the receiving end
> wants it.

Consent is the magic word here. Don't assume it is wanted unless the
other person let's you know.

> It is nonsensical to declare categorically that these
> behaviors constitute "harassment" irrespective of whether the people
> involved are, say, married or otherwise consenting.
>
> I am also puzzled by the statement "This Policy is not intended to
> impede or inhibit free speech." While I wholeheartedly support the
> sentiment behind that qualification, it is placed as a footnote
> appended to the title, rather than fully incorporated into the
> policy.

This is not a 'free speech policy', but an 'anti-harrassment policy'.
But if you feel strongly about it we could propose something like:

To be an inclusive space where people can express their opinion freely,
participants in ICANN’s multistakeholder processes must:

> The policy should also explicitly recognize that anti-harassment
> policies can themselves be used to harass or intimidate people, or
> exploited to silence critics.

Why? Does this happen? Or is this just victim shaming and empowering
perpetrators?

Cheers,

Niels