[NCUC-DISCUSS] Raoul Plommer's Report from Hyderabad

Raoul Plommer plommer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 11:47:21 CET 2016

Report from Hyderabad:

This is going to be a little lengthy, for I am going to list the sessions I
attended in ICANN57. Before we get to that though, I'd like to tell you
what concrete things I did while in Hyderabad.

Right at the start, I wanted to "get a case", which I did, when Milton told
me of the outrageous imbalance of the NomCom
<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/nomcom-2013-12-13-en> seats (1/7 for
the Non-commercial interests). From then on, I was trying to meet other
SG's and the board's leaders, to discuss said imbalance and I think I did
quite well with that. I was talking to Rubens Kuhl, Reg Levy, Zoe Bonython
and finally, in the plane Rinalia Abdul Rahim and they all seemed very
sympathetic to this issue, which I also raised at the Public Forum
<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154755999813556&set=a.432521718555.211342.614518555&type=3>.
Most of them seemed actually surprised to hear that we only had one seat. I
am going to pursue this in the future too.

I also got my hands finally dirty with the actual paperwork, that was in
the form of Bylaws changing operation. I decided to intervene, when I
realised that the bylaws are being changed without having a clear view,
what the changes will be actually like. For this I made the tabled version
of the bylaws that makes comaprison much easier. I suggest we use my format
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oMzuQglPSIeWjrZOzdJgjZUi2QdYwdxXfRe_SWuvmcY/edit>
in the future for the purposes of amending already existing documents.

On top of this, I concentrated on networking. I got a few nice leads, of
which two of them were starting up cooperation in South Africa and Mexico -
on opening up their data and creating a new chapter for the Open Knowledge
International. That's the most concrete things I could think of. I hope it
was more, but I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of this. Please
be patient with me and my questions. :)

Thursday 3.11.2016

How It Works: DNS Fundamentals
How It Works: Internet Networking
GNSO Non Commercial Users Constituency (NCUC) Outreach
How it Works: Root Server Operations
GNSO NCSG ICANN & Human Rights - Past, Present and Possible Futures

Friday 4.11.2016

How It Works: DNS Fundamentals
GAC update on IANA Transition
ICANN Bylaws changes and role of the GAC
GAC meeting with the GNSO
ICANN Bylaws changes and role of the GAC (session 2)
ICANN Bylaw changes and the role of the GAC (session 2 - part 2)European
stakeholders' networking drinks

Saturday 5.11.2016

ICANN57 Opening Ceremony
Contractual Compliance Program Updates and Q&A Session
Public Forum 1
ICANN57 Gala Night (LOCATION: HITEX CENTRE)

Sunday 6.11.2016

GNSO Non-Contracted Parties House Meeting – NCSG & CSG [C]
GAC session on the TMCH Review
Non Commercial Users Constituency NCUC
Joint Meeting: ICANN Board & Commercial Stakeholders Group
Non Commercial Stakeholder Group Open Meeting
Joint At-Large APRALO Showcase and Civil Society Networking Event

Monday 7.11.2016

GAC Elections
GNSO Intellectual Property Constituency Open Meeting (Part 2)
ICANN Bylaws changes and role of the GAC
Joint Meeting: ICANN Board and GNSO

Tuesday 8.11.2016

GAC Working Group Recommendations - for discussion and decision
Public Forum 2
GNSO Non Commercial Users Constituency (NCUC) Bylaws Change
IANA Stewardship Transition: A Community Thank You

********

I would've done this report already last night, but coincidentally, I've
actually been put into the biggest social media/media hassle in my life at
this exact time. I've given an anonymous interview for slavejobs in Finland
because of a FB-page I've started and for the last four days, I've been
fighting the lies of True Finns party rag, that is making blatant lies that
infuriate people that are not capable of media critique. I've never got
this much attention in the media before and of course it had to happen at
this crucial time. I could simply not ignore it. C'est la vie.

Respectfully yours,

Raoul