[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate Statement David Cake

David Cake dave at davecake.net
Fri Nov 18 14:19:54 CET 2016

Dear NCUC members,

1         Why do you want to serve on the EC?
I want to serve on the EC because I believe NCUC needs organisation and strong leadership now more then ever, and I feel I am able to contribute effectively. I think the EC is most effective when it contains a mixture of experience and strong knowledge of ICANN, and fresh ideas, and I believe I can supply significant experience to an EC that otherwise has a number of excellent new voices.

2         Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might have.
I’ve served on the EC before, including as interim Chair of NCUC. I’ve also served as an NCUC affiliated NCSG GNSO Councillor for the last four years (two of them as Council Vice-Chair). I also serve as chair of a significant civil society organisation (and representative within ICANN processes), Electronic Frontiers Australia, and in that role I have learnt a lot about organisation and management of volunteer based work on Internet policy. I’ve also served in a number of ICANN policy Working Groups, and I’m currently one of the Vice-Chairs of the Next Generation gTLD Registration Directory Service PDP WG. I come from a technical background, and have a strong understanding of the many complex technical issues involved in ICANN work. I also was selected to represent NCSG in the Civil Society Coordinating Group (CSCG) (along with Robin Gross), which coordinates candidates for civil society positions in various international Internet governance processes. So I have a significant experience in NCUC and NCSG and ICANN generally.
I do not believe I have any significant conflicts of interest.

3         The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the Constituency. What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role on a weekly and overall basis? Describe any concerns or limitations on your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN Meetings in person.
I have recently left the position of GNSO Councillor, so that frees up significant time to spend on ICANN volunteer work. I also think there will be useful overlaps between work I perform as Electronic Frontiers Australia chair and the EC work, as they often address similar concerns.

4         Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep members apprised of your EC-related activities?

	I will remain an active participant in online discussions in mailing lists, remain accessible for discussion in person at ICANN meetings I am able to attend,
	However I also think it is crucial that communication with membership is done as an entire EC committee to be effective and efficient.

5         How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why? Incumbent candidates should answer in a manner that is both backward and forward looking, i.e. taking note of their contributions and work in the previous year.

	In particular I think NCUC will increasingly have to find not only a role coordinating the work NCUC members perform within ICANN, but continue to expand its role reaching out beyond ICANN both to recruit more active members to deal with an increasing policy development workload, and a to explain the work we do and coordinate with work being performed in other parts of the Internet governance world (including at regional and national levels). The EC will have to lead this work.
NCUC is increasingly being seen as one of the significant parts of the ICANN world for policy work, as ICANN scales up its policy work overall. The EC has to help manage and support our growing number of active policy people, and this means scaling up infrastructure, more effectively using our new resources such as staff support, and talking to ICANN budget processes to get active support we need.