[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate Statement - NCUC-EC Af - Benjamin Akinmoyeje

Benjamin Akinmoyeje benakin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 13:29:10 CET 2016

Dear NCUC members,

Candidate Statement for the NCUC EC Africa

Name: Benjamin Akinmoyeje - Region: Africa - Gender: Male- Affiliation:
Management Sciences for Health

COI: I have no conflict of interest.

1         Why do you want to serve on the EC?

I have chosen to serve on the EC as Africa representative because of the
following reasons:

   -

   Strengthen Outreach strategies to African Academic Institutions, civil
   societies, non-commercial users, etc.
   -

   Simplify policies development process participation for new members
   -

   Facilitate a workable mentorship programme for existing African
   non-active/engaging members and new African newcomers.
   -

   Leverage on all existing Internet Governance opportunities/ platforms/
   events to champion the cause NCUC visions and missions within and outside
   of Africa.
   -

   Finally I want to serve in order to learn, participate more actively in
   the NCUC.

2      Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and
affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the
relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC
Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might have.

I am an IT & ICTD Manager for a non- profit public health organization
based in  Nigeria. I work to provide electronic medical record for health
facilities supporting people living with HIV/AIDS in low resource
communities, NCUC member since ICANN 47

   -

   member ISOC Nigeria
   -

   AFRINIC 19 Fellow
   -

   ICANN 49 Fellowship Alumni,
   -

   Member and Alumni Diplo Foundation
   -

   CPRSouth 2015 Young Scholar.
   -

   Participated in the NetMundial Meeting, Netmundial Initiative in Sao
   Paolo in 2014.
   -

   I am regular participant and stakeholder in the Nigeria Internet
   Governance forum deliberations and meetings.
   -

   Alumni of First Summer school of African Internet Governance - AFRISIG
   -

   I have co-proposed accepted Internet Governance Forum in IGF 2015 and
   IGF 2016.
   -

   A member of different ICT for Development academic and research group
   CPRSOUTH, ICTD Researchers in Africa Network, ICT for Social Innovation (
   www.ict4si.org)

My professional and personal work consistently encourage me seek out ways
to look to get the benefit of the Internet to individual users as a tool of
development such as education, health, innovation and empowerment. I user
open source application to support public health facilities, I carry out
research to support ICT for development,  I train health workers and
elderly citizens on the use of technologies to achieve more, I advocate for
open and transparent pricing and affordable broadband access for all.
Recently being an NCUC member on these working groups

   -

   Membership Engagement Team (NCUC group)
   -

   CCWG Accountability
   -

   GNSO Next-Gen RDS PDP WG

3  The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the
Constituency. What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role
on a weekly and overall basis? Describe any concerns or limitations on your
ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN
Meetings in person.

As a member of the NCUC EC Africa representative: I can give an average of
4 hours a week. I do not have any limitations to attend only meetings if
elected to represent Africa in the EC .

As an individual  I am committed to attending EC and ICANN Meetings as I
have shown in the past even with or without travel support, I have full or
partial funded my travels to ICANN meetings.

4   Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep
members apprised of your EC-related activities?

As a member EC representing the African region, I will identify the
critical  policy issues which are on the table for discussion and simplify
it for the understanding of my African audience and newcomers with
available channels of communications such as  emails, newsletters, blogs,
targeted social media platforms like twitter, Facebook and google hangout.
Also working with existing NCUC communications strategies and members reach
to advance the work I am doing in the NCUC EC. I hope to drive engagement
by linking my activities EC to some of the real life issues and benefits of
NCUC activities to the African users , especially on the issues of  Human
Rights, Development, Privacy,  and Multilingual Internet.

5        How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the
future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why?
Incumbent candidates should answer in a manner that is both backward and
forward looking, i.e. taking note of their contributions and work in the
previous year.

The statements should be relatively concise, e.g. a couple paragraphs per
question

Personally, I  see  NCUC’s  function eveolving in the future, as we bring
more participation of academia, non-commercial users from developing
countries on board. As we connect the next billion to the Internet and NCUC
as the home of the non-commercial users ;  needs to attract more members
and become stronger advocate for the issues of concerns to the constituent
(civil societies communities and individual users) in ICANN policy
development and the trending Internet Governance issues. In the face of
changing governments and technologies, NCUC roles to protect the interest
of the  individual users will certainly have to change and be dynamic
especially with the issues of privacy - Africa is seeing the rising cases
of revenge porn, government's clamp down on social media, National Internet
blackouts, cyber attacks, social media influence in elections, etc. in
order to get participation of the silent majority, NCUC must also move to
champion education about domain name rights, freedom of speech, etc  of
civil societies and other bodies with common interests. NCUC within ICANN
will have to form seek collaborations of ICANN constituents who have common
goals on different policy issues for the purpose of impact. NCUC with ICANN
must support those UN SDG goals that coincides with NCUC mission.

It is with excitement I look forward to serving the NCUC community to
engender participation of all diverse groups especially those from
developing countries and newcomers to ICANN.

Thank you,
Benjamin Akinmoyeje