[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate Statement- NCUC NA- Anna Loup

Anna Loup aloup at usc.edu
Fri Nov 18 09:23:59 CET 2016

Hello,

Here is my candidate statement. I am looking forward to speaking with you!

*Candidate Statement Anna Loup, Nominated Position: NCUC EC North American
seat*

Name: Anna Loup

Region of residence: North America

Employment: PhD Student at the University of Southern California Annenberg
School for Communication and Journalism

Conflict of interest: No.

*1.    Why do you want to serve on the EC*

The NCUC executive committee is a group of individuals who serve not only
as leaders and representatives within the constituency, but also in the
broader community. They organize the development of critical comments and
are not afraid to ask the difficult questions that allow for a successful
multi-stakeholder model of Internet governance. I want to be a part of the
EC because I too want to represent the interests of the NCUC community and
broader non-commercial user community.

*2    Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and
affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the
relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC
Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might
have.*

As an intern at ICANN I learned about the organization ‘from the inside.’
This will benefit the NCUC because as data analyst for the gTLD CCT-metrics
collection process, as well as a researcher looking at the security,
stability, and resiliency of the new gTLDs, I have a deep understanding of
where to find published, but difficult to find, data. This opportunity
allowed me to witness, first-hand, some issues with the way things were run
and handled.

Further, in 2015, I attended Wolfgang Kleinwächter’s European Summer School
on Internet Governance. This experience was inspiring because I was finally
able to interreact with members from the community who represent the
interests of non-commercial entities. From engaging with other students
from around the globe and representatives of the Association for
Progressive Communications, among others, I learned that the NCUC was a
space in which I could finally do the work I wanted.

Taking this inspiration, I worked with Dr. Nicholas Cull at the University
of Southern California to organize the USC Annenberg Spring Institute on
Internet Diplomacy. We brought many influential speakers and participants,
such as Vint Cerf (Inventor of TCP-IP), Fadi Chehade (ex-ICANN CEO), Fiona
Alexander (NTIA), and Khaled Koubaa (ICANN Board member), together for a
week of learning and discussion.

Finally, during my time in the NCUC, I have been an active participant in
the CEP working group and have worked with the NCUC bylaws committee.

*3    The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the
Constituency. What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role
on a weekly and overall basis? Describe any concerns or limitations on your
ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN
Meetings in person.*

As a PhD student whose work is connected to the work of the NCUC, I have a
very flexible approach to my availability both weekly and overall, online
and offline. I am also committed to traveling not only to NCUC/ ICANN
related meetings, but also to smaller conferences where I might be able to
recruit new members to the NCUC. For example, as a presenter at the
International Studies Association- ICOMM meeting last year, I was present
for the NCUC recruitment discussion during the cocktail party. I want to
carry on the work being done by Dr. Mueller, and use these academic
conferences as one space to connect with new and current members.

*4    Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep
members apprised of your EC-related activities?*

My first goal is to maintain the current structure of EC updates and
communication with members, both returning and new. If it wasn’t for the
guidance of the more established members of the Internet Governance
community, I would not have been inspired to become a part of the EC and
take a leadership role in the NCUC. Building on this, however, I also want
to continue outreach at major conferences to new members and returning
members. For instance, organizing a meeting of NCUC members at conferences
as a way to meet face-to-face and develop new ideas outside of the
intersessional and ICANN meetings. These also would serve as excellent
opportunities to recruit new members.

*5    How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the
future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why?
Incumbent candidates should answer in a manner that is both backward and
forward looking, i.e. taking note of their contributions and work in the
previous year.*

The NCUC serves as a critical component of the wider community that
successfully fights for non-commercial users. One of my goals is to work to
engage more young people who are willing to be active participants in
policy discussion from North America. I believe that there is a large civil
society contingency in North America that would benefit greatly from
working with the NCUC because of the collective level of knowledge and
experience.

Regarding ICANN policy, more work is needed on rights protections
mechanisms, agreements negotiated outside of the multi-stakeholder model
(eg. Donuts with MPAA), and how to use proceeds received by ICANN from the
auctions of last resort. I want to ensure that human rights are critically
examined within each of these issues and beyond as well as communicate
issues of importance to North American constituents and the NCUC community
as a whole.

--
*Masters in Public Diplomacy '16*