[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate Statement - NCUC EC LAC

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 07:58:51 CET 2016

Hi everyone

As a candidate to NCUC Executive Council for Latin America, I'm sending my
statement to the group.

Questions or comments are welcome through the list or to me at
raquino at gmail.com

* Candidate Statement *

* Name, declared region of residence, gender and employment; Any conflicts
of interest;

*Renata Aquino Ribeiro Resident at LAC, Brazil, Northeast, Ceará, Fortaleza
Female Researcher - E. I. Collective*

*No conflicts of interest previously declared. I will hold the commitment
to be transparent and declare any which could arise at any occasion.*

* Questions:
1 Why do you want to serve on the EC?

*Regional engagement of LAC and developing countries underserved and
underepresented stakeholders is a basic need for ICANN and NCUC can do it
along the tasks of its executive council.*

*Serving at NCUC will provide an opportunity to help bring these unengaged
communities to decision roles in internet governance and tackle gaps in the
policy-making process.*

2 Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and
affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the
relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on
the NCUC Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you
might have.

*All my work, lectures and articles **can be found** in my blog: *
*http://bit.ly/renataineng* <http://bit.ly/renataineng>

*I am an independent researcher and professor at E.I. Collective. We build
collaborative books, papers and capacity building projects mainly aimed at
teachers in public education and NGOs. I am part of the IGF 2016 MAG –
Multistakeholder Advisory Group in the Internet Governance Forum promoted
by the United Nations, representing Civil Society. At Internet Freedom
Festival 2017, a fellow in the Regions and Groups track. I am a
collaborator and was a professor of Federal University of Ceara (UFCE). For
the last decade, followed the internet governance debates such as regional
IGFs, Brazilian Internet School of Governance 2014 fellow, South School of
Internet Governance 2015 fellow and LACRALO ALS Nexti participant 2015 and
NCUC participant in ICANN. I am ISOC Brasil contributing member since nov
2015, APC individual member and IETF observer. *
*I do not currently have any conflict of interests but will hold the
commitment to be transparent and disclose any which could arise.*

3 The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the Constituency.
What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role on a weekly and
overall basis? Describe any concerns or limitations on your ability to
attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN Meetings in
person.

*I'm available to commit to NCUC EC at least 1hr during business days, 5h
weekly. My schedule is flexible so should the need arise to dedicate more
time to pre-meeting preparations or other activities, it can also be done.
Connectivity is an issue in my region but with a minimum amount of planning
I can attend the online meetings as I've done in previous occasions. *

*My participation in ICANN meetings has been very constant. Since engaging
1st as a fellow in ICANN53, I was also grateful to have partial support
from NCUC to ICANN55 and attended as a fellow in ICANN57. *

4 Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep members
apprised of your EC-related activities?

*My plan for communication with members involves a timely newsletter about
actions the regional EC rep is doing can be shared to members. Monthly
editions could be the first plan.*

*Also social media use to share information and showcase members
achievements is another path which the group can try. Diagnostics and
analysis of comms tools will help improve this work.*

5 How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the
future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why?
Incumbent candidates should answer in a manner that is both backward and
forward looking, i.e. taking note of their contributions and work in the
previous year.

*Civil society in internet governance faces increasingly more challenges
and NCUC action encapsulates most of them.*

*The growth of NCUC membership in LAC can be exponential. Planning this
growth and how these members can be more actively engaged are the next
steps.*

*Therefore, outreach, capacity building and improving communications are a
few concrete actions to be taken at once. Diagnostics and analysis will
again play a part in improving these aspects.*

*NCUC can improve its links also to civil society organizations and be an
increasingly important decisional player in ICANN's global policy
development processes. Ideas on how to do this can be discussed with
members.*

*Whichever roads the NCUC collectively decides to follow in PDPs I believe
the EC will be ever more supportive and I plan to act on that direction.*