[NCUC-DISCUSS] Fwd: [Ncph-gnsofutures] ICANN57: GNSO Futures Meeting - Agenda/Presentation | Thursday, 3 November, 13:45 - 15:00 | Room: G.03/04

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Thu Nov 3 02:44:41 CET 2016

Fellow NCUC members,

At last year's intercessional meeting the CSG and NPOC combined to cause creation of this GNSO Futures group. Arriving late due to flight problems, I opposed creation of a NCPH working group such as this as being completely illegitimate and inimical to the interests of the NCUC. Too late. The group was formed.

This report by Tony Holmes is a completely biased farce. It is the CSG's wet dream with all proposed "solutions" to the "problem" of the GNSO House structure calling for the elimination of the House structure. That is not in the interest of the NCUC nor is further participation in this group. Any consideration of the future of the GNSO should be done alongside our partners in the Contracted Party House. The NCPH is a voting structure that has served us well, not an organisational cohort with which we should be involved in as a policy making or proposing institution.

I am not a member of the GNSO Futures Group as I opposed its creation and existence. Let me state my belief that the House structure has served the NCUC and the noncommercial community well and that any switch to a  constituency based structure is contrary to the interests of the NCUC and our members. The Westlake study, despite its many flaws, correctly did not support structural change in the GNSO at this time. This so called Futures group and this report is nothing more than a backwards run around the proper and legitimate GNSO review that included all components of the GNSO. Therefore:

1. I ask all NCUC members of this group to oppose publication of this report;

2. I would ask the NCUC EC and our membership to reconsider our participation in this group and, in fact, to affirmatively cease our support of and participation in this group in any way, shape and manner.

I would also suggest that once consensus in this matter is reached within the NCUC we reach out to our colleagues in NPOC to discuss this matter. I do not believe empowerment of the CSG, the end result of any of the "reform" options, is in the interest of any component of the NCSG.

In our Council meeting next week we will be considering approval of a drafting team (DT) report that brings the transition reforms into the GNSO. The four members of the NCUC who participated on the DT (myself, Farzi, Matt and Amr) worked diligently and successfully to port the new powers into the GNSO based upon the current house structure within Council. We did so with the full support of RrSG and RySG. They, not the CSG, are our true partners in structural issues within the GNSO. We should no longer participate in a GNSO review that excludes them. This proposed report is an example of how giving the NCPH legitimacy as  anything more than a voting algorithm is not in our interest.

Kind Regards,

Ed Morris

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message: