[NCUC-DISCUSS] Launch of NCUC Chat - A platform for NCUC collaboration

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Wed May 4 10:47:31 CEST 2016

Hi,

please find below the message about a new experiment to be conducted for
NCUC and looking forward your participation.

Best Regards,

Rafik Dammak

NCUC Chair

Hi Everyone,

I am happy to announce we are going to launch a new real-time chat platform
for NCUC members.

*https://ncuc.chat* <https://ncuc.chat>

We will run the platform for a few months as a pilot, extending
functionality of the platform and integrating it with the various services
we use across ICANN, with a vision to try and utilise it to bring some
real-time collaboration to NCUC members. We feel that NCUC should be
leading the way in bringing innovative collaboration to ICANN policy work
and we hope that you will join us in this pilot phase!

Please sign up and get chatting to all your fellow NCUC members! We are
launching this now in advance of the ICANN meeting in Helsinki to get
everyone onto the platform and familiar before we have our first meeting
where we can use its features to bring some real-time collaboration to this
new meeting format at ICANN focused on policy discussion and with need of
lot of coordination.

———

*How to register:*

Go to https://ncuc.chat , click on register a new account. Enter your
chosen username, password and email address.
The system will send you a registration confirmation email, click on the
registration link and login to the platform.

*How to use:*
You can access the chat from any browser by going to https://ncuc.chat or
you can download apps for Window, Linux, Apple iOS and OSX and Android at
https://rocket.chat/.

Once in the system you will see a number of channels have been setup on the
left hand side of the window. Some channels as examples are
#ICANN-56-Helsinki to collaborate on the next ICANN meeting, or
#ccwg-accountability to connect and share information about the critical
work of the IANA transition.

Feel free to join in the conversation and contribute, or start your own
public and private chats to chat to other NCUC members. Direct messages can
be sent between members also using the direct messaging function.
The archives of the chat are available to all who sign up and will be
available on a public archive soon.

*Security and Accessibility:*
Given the diverse membership of NCUC it was critical to ensure that this
platform is secure and accessible to all of our members. All chats are
encrypted over SSL/TLS and the ncuc.chat server receives an A+ rating on
SSL-Labs https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=ncuc.chat&latest .
Direct messages between online users can be encrypted using OTR secure
messaging by clicking the Off The Record button while chatting in direct
messages.
The site presents all of its information over HTTP and should be accessible
from any country on earth, please feel free to message me if you have any
troubles connecting in your country.

———

*Disclaimer:*
This platform is not intended to replace the NCUC-Discuss mailing list as
the official location of all formal NCUC communications and is merely
intended to provide an additional channel for more real time and accessible
communications to our members.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any further questions.

Regards,

James Gannon