[NCUC-DISCUSS] Berkman Center to review the proposal to NTIA

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sat Mar 19 19:18:37 CET 2016

The problem is that the next step in the long process of the IANA Transition is in the hand of the USG only. It is the USG which runs the contract. And it is the USG which has to decide whether ot whether not to renew the contract on September 30, 2016. It has to review the "Marrakesh Consensus" in the light of the March 2014 criteria. The global multistakeholder community has said what it had to say in the hundreds of pages of the proposal. I would be sceptical that the US government would listen to a study from the LSE, Aarhus University or the HIIG, just to name three European academic institutions whether the proposal meets those March 2014 criteria or not. Does somebody belief that a review of the Marrakesh Consensus by academic centers from Istanbul, Hongkong or Moscow would help the USG to make its final decision.

Nevertheless, all those academic institutions around the world are free to review, evaluate and discuss the "Marrakesh Consensus". This would contribute to more global public awareness about the strength of the multistakeholder model. And this would also produce interesting material helpful for Workstream 2 (and workstream 3). I hope that we will see a lot of PHD dissertations on Marrakesh and the IANA Transition.

But the reality here and now is that the next concrete step in the nearly 20 years of the IANA transition is an internal US affair. There is (fortunately) no need that the Marrakesh Consensus needs ratification by national parliaments. The Marrakesh Consensus is (fortunately) neither the "Climate Treaty" nor the "International Convention on the Law of the Sea". It is a consensus by an empowered multistakeholder ICANN community.

Wolfgang

Bill,

I think that phrasing is reason enough to take issue, regardless of how capable Harvard is to carry out the review.

Sana

Sent from my iPhone