[NCUC-DISCUSS] 2017 ICANN Meetings

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 08:56:27 CET 2016

Hi

It’s unclear whether Puerto Rico will be a problem, not only because of Zika, but also Chikungunya, which is pretty serious.  http://www.salud.gov.pr/Sobre-tu-Salud/Pages/Condiciones/Chikungunya.aspx  Meeting staff will research etc.  Hopefully it’s under control by then...

Bill

> On Mar 13, 2016, at 19:38, Renata Aquino Ribeiro <raquino at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Seun
>
> Thanks for the information about the block allocations.
> I'd be one thinking that EOI would also be a good idea.
> Criteria for selection could be refined from the replies.
>
> Regards,
>
> Renata
>
> Em 13/03/2016 15:31, "Seun Ojedeji" <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com <mailto:seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>> escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> I believe the meeting locations were already predetermined so it was not realistic to change as suggested. As you may know, call to host ICANN meetings are done in block (I think it's 2 years period) and countries who expressed interest during the application window would have been reviewed and selected. In a situation where the meeting venue changes due to unforeseen circumstances, it becomes a plus for any other region that has a country willing to host at such short notice (while still meeting the hosting requirements).
>
> It's usually a difficult one but that is what it is. Personally, I would have preferred that ICANN open a short call for EOI when such happens so other countries in that particular region affected could express their interest. (Although I don't know if it would have helped in this case since the Zika stuff is considered continental)
>
> Regards
>
> Sent from my LG G4
> Kindly excuse brevity and typos
>
> On 13 Mar 2016 12:38 a.m., "Ayden Férdeline" <icann at ferdeline.com <mailto:icann at ferdeline.com>> wrote:
> Hi, all-
>
> The locations for ICANN Meetings in 2017 have been posted: https://meetings.icann.org/en/calendar <https://meetings.icann.org/en/calendar>
>
> ICANN58 is in Copenhagen, ICANN59 is in Johannesburg, and ICANN60 is in Abu Dhabi.
>
> It appears that ICANN57 will remain in San Juan. I'm a little surprised that ICANN58 is going to Europe rather than Latin America, given the change of location of the Panama City meeting…
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Ayden Férdeline

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  www.williamdrake.org <http://www.williamdrake.org/>
The Working Group on Internet Governance - 10th Anniversary Reflections
New book at https://www.apc.org/en/WGIG <https://www.apc.org/en/WGIG>