[NCUC-DISCUSS] [Info] ICANN's Strategic Plan 2016-2020 & Operating Plan

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 03:54:35 CEST 2016

Hi Ayden,

> Hi Rafik,
>
> I want to engage with this document but I am not sure how I can do so. Is
> there a line-by-line breakdown of the budget? I've downloaded the FY17
> Operating Plan & Budget, along with the supporting Excel worksheets, but it
> is hard to know what 'wins' we were allocated for the financial year ahead.
> Searching for keywords like 'NCUC' etc doesn't yield anything.

I am not aware about more detailled  document than what is available. as I
said the budgeting is a kidn of new area and those familiar with finance
and budgteing can definitely help to get mroe involved.

I remember back in February that the EC requested translation support,
> capacity building training, and travel support to the IGF, among other
> things. Which of our budget requests were approved? What did the rest of
> the GNSO get? How can I find the budget requests which were sought by and
> approved for other SO/ACs?

here the wiki space for the special financial requests and the results from
ICANN Finance team
https://community.icann.org/display/projfinadhocws/FY17+Decisions . you can
find details about the budget allocated to the community and all the
requests. Only 1 budget request was approved. We can learn from this
anyway. I did financial requests for NCSG before and it take time to get
buy-in and approval for some activities.

> I appreciate you shared the links below to generate interest for FY18 and
> beyond, and the Strategic Plan which we should be intimately familiar with,
> but the title of the document has piqued my interest in what the NCUC has
> won in the shorter term. I am not an accountant and I cannot scrutinise the
> budget too carefully, but I can at least try to make sure that we in the
> community are all being allocated resources equitably.

I would think that we should know first what we want to do and achieve in
term of projects and support. Preparing the budget requests and work hard
to get them would be the next step.  We made several requests and even with
the negative response, we are still following-up to see how we can get them
in future. so the areas covered by NCUC requests are still in my to-do list
and hopefully I can share some updates in coming months.

Best,

Rafik

I also observed the inconsistent application of the Geographic Regions