[NCUC-DISCUSS] gnso working groups open - guide to choosing a working group

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 05:20:06 CEST 2016

Hi Renata,

working groups have a lifecycle and so it can be hard to keep track of them
from our side if we have no member involved there . however, it is better
to search for info about GNSO policies in GNSO website gnso.icann.org and
not the main ICANN site.

GNSO council as manager and doing oversight of policy development process
maintain a list of so-called projects which are all ongoing processes:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/project . you can find there the status of
the working group and at which stage (which can be useful if it is good to
join or not at that time)

you can find info about policy activities by area here
http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/policy
there is useful landing page when you can find previous working groups,
calendar, teams too http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities

also an interesting link to "other activities" such review and so on which
are not necessarily policy development process.

to get  info there is http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/background-briefings
and http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/pdp-updates which should be updated
prior to ICANN meeting.
Some working group like RDS (Registration Directory Services) is
experimenting a monthly update shared regularly.

for reference, some of those links are shared in the announcement for
newcomers , also listed here
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/How+To+Get+Involved

Currently, there are 3 heavy and critical policy development process:
- Registration Data services
- Subsequent rounds for new gTLD.
- Right Protections Mechanisms

Helsinki meeting as policy meeting will be a good opportunity to catch up
with what is going on.

Best,

Rafik