[NCUC-DISCUSS] REMINDER: ncuc.chat for Helsinki

James Gannon james at cyberinvasion.net
Tue Jun 21 10:16:47 CEST 2016

Hi Everyone,

Reminding everyone about our new tools available for this critical policy meeting in Helsinki.

https://ncuc.chat<https://ncuc.chat/>

We will use this chat platform as an open alternative to Skype and other disparate channels during the Helsinki meeting to share information, coordinate and talk amongst ourselves.

Please sign up and get chatting to all your fellow NCUC members! We are launching this now in advance of the ICANN meeting in Helsinki to get everyone onto the platform and familiar before we have our first meeting where we can use its features to bring some real-time collaboration to this new meeting format at ICANN focused on policy discussion and with need of lot of coordination.

———

How to register:

Go to https://ncuc.chat<https://ncuc.chat/> , click on register a new account. Enter your chosen username, password and email address.
The system will send you a registration confirmation email, click on the registration link and login to the platform.

How to use:
You can access the chat from any browser by going to https://ncuc.chat<https://ncuc.chat/> or you can download apps for Window, Linux, Apple iOS and OSX and Android at https://rocket.chat/.

Once in the system you will see a number of channels on the left have been setup on the left hand side of the window. Some channels as examples are #ICANN-56-Helsinki to collaborate during the ICANN meeting, or #ccwg-accountability and #accountability-ws2 to connect and share information about the critical work of the IANA transition. Don’t see a channel for your topic feel free to start one!

[cid:5A2DC054-F226-43EF-B67B-24951E5B581B]

Click the more channels at the bottom to see the full list of available channels.
On the right hand side of each channel there is an options pane that you can use to customise things like notifications and other settings

[cid:8A3ED5E9-66DC-43B2-B39A-A7CA98FFE82D]

Feel free to join in the conversation and contribute, or start your own public and private chats to chat to other NCUC members.
Direct messages can be sent between members also using the direct messaging function.
The archives of the chat are available to all who sign up and will be available on a public archive soon.

Security and Accessibility:
Given the diverse membership of NCUC it was critical to ensure that this platform is secure and accessible to all of our members. All chats are encrypted over SSL/TLS and the ncuc.chat server receives an A+ rating on SSL-Labs https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=ncuc.chat&latest .
Direct messages between online users can be encrypted using OTR secure messaging by clicking the Off The Record button while chatting in direct messages.
The site presents all of its information over HTTP and should be accessible from any country on earth, please feel free to message me if you have any troubles connecting in your country.

———

Disclaimer:
This platform is not intended to replace the NCUC-Discuss mailing list as the official location of all formal NCUC communications and is merely intended to provide an additional channel for more real time and accessible communications to our members.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any further questions.

Regards,

James Gannon