[NCUC-DISCUSS] Technology and Transparency in Barcelona

DeeDee Halleck deedeehalleck at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 16:31:31 CEST 2016

sorry Adele no official english version, but here is google translate
version.
xx
dd

We opted for a remunicipalització information"

Francesca Bria, new technology and digital innovation commissioner of the
City of Barcelona, ​​called for a change in the "digital culture" of the
council and citizens
Its location provides expanded range of technology providers in the hall
and walk towards open source
"The public sector must be open and everybody must be able to access the
data," said Bria, which equates technology transparency
Yeray S. Iborra
07/24/2016 - 06: 00h
Francesca Bria; Technology Commissioner of the City of Barcelona SANDRA
LÁZARO
Francesca Bria (Rome, 1977) almost never talk about technology when it
comes to her, not something technical. There are gadgets. The new
Commissioner of digital innovation and technology City Council Appointment
of just a few weeks ago understands technology as a synonym for Culture and
the protection of data. "Common good", mentions several times during the
interview, becoming his party's slogan that has contracted Barcelona in
common.

Bria, who understands Spanish but speaks effort has worked the past three
years Nesta, an organization for innovation, in addition to devote to
D-Center, a project for the decentralization of technology in Europe . Also
advises the European Commission on technology policy. Now, in Barcelona,
​​will lead the Municipal Computing Institute (IMI) in order to investigate
participation tools, change the technological culture of council services
and deepen the digital participation tools.

Italy puts citizens at the center of technological development. During the
interview does not sound or a mobile; while the recorder is stopped
suddenly. The technology can always fail. The important, Bria, is that
people fail.

How did she came into contact with the government of the city of Barcelona?

Some years ago I led a major project called D-center, decentralization of
technology in Europe. One of the aspects of the project was developed in
Spain, we work with 15M. We lived the transformation of the movement, the
emergence of parties and how they experimented with technology: discussion
online forums ... Even we can work on the Plaza. Then we see now wrapped in
Barcelona and Madrid Common Code of Ethics following the training.

What attracted you to all these movements?

In Spain it is being a democratic revolution, inspiring and, in particular,
the experiment of Barcelona is very stimulating. When they win the election
we realized how technology was this institution in the city. The question
we asked was: What happens when the technology out of the office? We care
about the data, transparency, sovereignty: it is important to understand
how we move our social challenges with technology. How we use technology to
return power to the people.

There are similar movements in Europe?

We are in contact with Iceland and Helsinki, learning from their
experiences.

What is the specific assignment received by the City Council?

The digital transformation of the City Council not only more efficient use
of technology to improve processes and policies but also with regard to
public services. Improve the design of services and refocus municipal
technology providers: so far only a few have the ability to win contracts,
and we have to open it to aspire to this medium. This middle class are
cooperatives, and other companies working with open source. You must use
open licenses.

As found the City?

Many administrations are lost, because large corporations workers have on
average 30 years: people working code is young. These changes in the
private sector are not at City Hall. In Barcelona there is hope because we
are not bureaucrats.

Did you find hostility to the change in the City?
This is a great community of nearly 6,000 employees who use technology
every day.
Step by step. But must involve employees, so we work in a multidisciplinary
workshops ... Beyond that we are doing, we must also change some rules. We
are studying it. The first change should be given inside. From the inside
out, forever.

Francesca Bria; Technology Commissioner of the City of Barcelona SANDRA
LÁZARO
What could make a council to change these things: providers use open source
...?

The problem in such an institution is always the dependence on a specific
technology. We can not create dependencies with suppliers, because the city
has talent and innovation systems. The problem is not technology, it is the
culture. We must change the culture, organization, to change the use of
technology. People usually services. And beyond this we must be clear what
we signed with large companies. We must work with the public license
information.

They want to sweep away what has been done so far?

Neither change everything. We must analyze and do something progressive.
Although we will go to the open licenses. We must improve the lives of
citizens from these changes.

Explain more.

The public sector must be open and everybody must be able to access the
data. We have an open and transparent administration. The citizens must use
public information and control: there must be a new social pact for
information. Information is the most important for the economies and this
information must be used for the common good.

What role does technology in the loss of faith in institutions?

The technology is not acting in the interest of citizens. We are
outsourcing a lot of information that citizens lose. Spain has a developer
ecosystem with very good people in super computing and data. And we are
working with them enough. The bureaucrats, as I said, are not changing as
fast as the population. Yes demanded changes.

How politics affects their work? The deputy mayor, James Asens said in an
interview that transparency Catalonia Plural often hinders policy.

I am not affiliated with any party. I'm here to help. I'm the democratic
revolution, which is what Europe needs. I really think you have to start
with cities. I respect the interests always exist, but citizens' interests
come first: politics, lobbies or large companies after. But trading exists.
But if citizens have lost track of politics is because there is a small
group that has had too much power for their own interest, and it is the
case of this council.

How does a city live the democratization of technology macroesdeveniments
as the Mobile World Congress?

The Mobile World Congress is a great opportunity to be in contact with a
large world like mobile technology. Do not forget that we are in a new
industrial revolution. And these companies do snoop everything from
education to health. You must know them. I bet it, for example when it
comes to health and education, a remunicipalització information.

Francesca Bria; Technology Commissioner of the City of Barcelona SANDRA
LÁZARO
What project for participation as Decidim.Barcelona platforms?

We have big plans for this: platforms like this are true smart city. Put
people, neighborhoods and community centers in the center. What are the
needs. I only use technology to solve problems.

It was somewhat limited experience with Decidim.Barcelona?

20,000 people participated in the Municipal Action Plan. This is a
precedent without equal. We know that participation is territory: there is
nothing really online. Decidim.Barcelona be the future decentralized civic
organizations and privacy by design.

Privacy by design?

Platforms built directly on data protection point of view. Data Protection
and Privacy by design is changing the rules of regulation policy from
inside: everything is integrated in technology when developing the system.
Another example cryptography is introduced into platforms like Whatsapp or
Telegram. The privacy above all: after filtration of people like Assange, a
modern hero, our duty to follow his example.

And what do we do with the platforms that are already created and the
information we suck?

Barcelona can not change everything. But we want to help capitalism
surveillance.