[NCUC-DISCUSS] MAG nomination - reasons and ways to support

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 13:24:17 CET 2016

Hi!

*  I have been nominated for the MAG (Multistakeholder Advisory Group)
for the IGF (Internet Governance Forum) and accepted it in the
beginning of January. This message is to ask for your support.

* My candidacy is about the context of internet governance debates
within sustainable and regional development initiatives. I was
nominated by a citizen of João Pessoa, Brazil, where the last IGF
occurred and part of the region I am currently living in. Bringing
regional voices to IGFs is a mission for me, I've also been to
conferences in Mexico, where the next IGF will be, and I am part of
Latin-American groups and engaged in their demands.

* My goals as a MAG member would be to overturn the lack of access to
IG initiatives by a great deal of CS organizations due to language
barriers, cultural differences and simple misinformation about what
the IGF truly is and how to go on to participate on it. I've seen
resistence, disinformation, discouragement upfront and how to deal
with it.

* Last by not least, prior to IGF in Brazil I've participated in other
IG debates in regional IGFs, CGI.br courses, ICANN events (all as a
fellow or similar initiatives) and for 15+ years I've been advocating
for the increase in connectivity in schools and universities and
professional development programs for teacher w/ technology.

So, again, thank you all in this community for the space in which to
put forward those plans and I ask for your consideration of these
efforts with the MAG nomination support

To voice your support you may write to Bestbits
(bestbits at lists.bestbits.net) or IGC (governance at lists.igcaucus.org)
if you participate on them or simply reply to me (raquino at gmail.com).

Thank you

Renata