[NCUC-DISCUSS] My nomination to the IGF MAG 2016

Arsène Tungali arsenebaguma at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 08:21:51 CET 2016

[Apologise for any cross posting]

Dear colleagues, please find here bellow my description and nomination for
a slot in the MAG 2016. Will appreciate your support, comments and advice;
please do get in touch with me if you have any question.

*My MAG nomination description*

I would like to apply for a slot on the 2016 MAG. I am a civil society
young leader (age 25), from the war-torn region of the Democratic Republic
of Congo. I am also native Swahili speaker, fluent in French and English,
and write a blog in both English and French. Moreover, in 2015 I was
awarded the Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders by the
US State Department. Besides winning that Fellowship I have also received
several other recognitions for my work and engagement with young people in
Africa and worldwide.

I am the Executive of Rudi International, the only Congolese non-profit
organization working on child online protection and women’s participation
in ICT issues. Since 2012, my organization has convened an annual ITU’s
Girls in ICT day events and is a member organization that is part of their
Child Online Protection (COP) initiative across Africa.

I feel that there is an under representation among Civil Society members
for the Francophone African countries and hope to add my voice to those
advocating for the underrepresented from these African countries and in
that way promote a more multilingual IG. I am a strong advocate for remote
participation as it has allowed those who cannot physically attend the
global meetings to engage and participate. I am also an advocate for
increasing the youth participation at the IGF and for including more
sessions on child online protection and women’s involvement in ICT, which
continues to be a barrier in many African countries due to customs and
cultures. As the Internet Society states, the Internet is for everyone and
we need to make sure that everyone has the ability to participate.

I have been involved in the IGF ecosystem since 2011 when I attended my
first IGF, as a youth participant and speaker on a panel on child online
safety organized by UNICEF, ECPAT International and the ITU. From there, I
felt the need to speak out on issues that young people and mostly children
in developing countries are facing as they try to get online.  In 2012 I
was accepted into the Diplo Foundation’s Internet Governance courses. Since
then, I have been involved in both regional, national, and Global IGFs.  While
in the US in 2015, I spent my own funds to travel to Washington DC to
participate in the IGF-USA.  I am currently advocating for DRC to have its
first national IGF. I have been on the organizing Committee for the
sub-regional level of the Central African IGF in 2013 in Kinshasa (DRC); I
also took part in the 2013 African IGF.

I applied and received funding from the Internet Society to be an ISOC
Ambassador to the IGF 2015 in Joao Pessoa Brazil and blogged about my
experience in Diplo’s daily newsletter.

Additionally, I am an active member of several Civil society Internet
governance lists such as the YCIG, IGC, BestBits, etc.

I have been an ICANN fellow in 2014 and will be one in 2016 (Marrakesh).  I
am an active member of the Non Commercial Stakeholders Group (NCSG) where I
helped translate their brochure in French (NCUC) and also help to promote
ICANN in the Francophone world.

------------------------
**Arsène Tungali**
Co-founder & Executive Director,
*Rudi international <http://www.rudiinternational.org>*
Founder & Director, *Mabingwa Forum <http://www.mabingwa-forum.com>*
Tel: +243993810967
*Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo*

2015 Mandela Washington Felllow
<http://tungali.blogspot.com/2015/06/selected-for-2015-mandela-washington.html>
(YALI) - ISOC IGF Ambassador
<http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/education-and-leadership-programmes/next-generation-leaders/igf-ambassadors-programme/2015Ambassadors>
<http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/education-and-leadership-programmes/next-generation-leaders/igf-ambassadors-programme/2015Ambassadors>-

Blogger <http://tungali.blogspot.com>- Child Online Protection - ICANN
Fellow <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-07-18-en>.

*Join us for the 4rd edition of Mabingwa Forum
<http://mabingwa-forum.com/mabingwa-2014/registration/>. Sponsor a kid
<http://rudiinternational.org/donations/french/> for school! Be the Change
in rural DRC.*