[NCUC-DISCUSS] Update from your EC representative at NCUC

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Mon Feb 29 19:46:11 CET 2016

Dear Farzaneh,

Thank you for this detailed update on your activities in the first quarter of
2016. We in Europe are very privileged to have you as our representative on the
Executive Committee.
I read in your summary of the lessons learned from the CPDP conference that it
is important to emphasise that membership in the NCUC is free. I agree with this
and do hope it can be added to the NCUC website and brochure. I was wondering,
however, if we have considered translating the NCUC's website into more
languages? I see that the brochure is available in 8 languages, which is
brilliant, but I probably would not think to download this resource if I hadn't
been handed one at ICANN 54. I think it would be useful to have core website
content, like the membership criterion and the about pages, available in
languages other than English.
During the Pre-ICANN 55 Policy Update Webinar last week, Ariel Liang shared a
link to the new At-Large website. Their new website is beautiful, filled with
content, and has translation tools embedded within it (admittedly these are
auto-translation tools which aren't great - but they're a start). I asked if
this design was a template available for deployment to other constituencies and
Ariel replied in the affirmative, saying that other community groups are free to
customise the design and to change elements of it based on their individual
needs. Might we be able to explore the possibility of refreshing our website,
perhaps using the At-Large template as a starting point?
Regarding the opening on the Steering Committee on Improvements to GNSO, may I
please ask, who is currently or was most recently our representative on this
committee? How long is their appointment for? And are they appointed by the
NCUC's EC or by another body? (This only serves my own curiosity - I am not
looking to nominate myself for this role at this time.)
Many thanks for all that you do, Farzaneh. It is very much appreciated.
See you in Marrakech,
Ayden