[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC & Academic Capacity Building activities

Gabriela Gijón mariagabriela.gijon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 20:41:12 CET 2016

Hi everybody! I'm *Gabriela Gijón - Gaby for short -* from Tucumán, a
province in the north of Argentina. This is *my first mail as a member of
NCUC* so be patient with me, hehe!

*Some of you know me very well and I have wonderful friends here*. For the
rest of you I share some figures about me:

1 Internet Governance South School as a fellow (SSIG, México, 2011)
2 ICANN Meetings as formal fellow (Costa Rica & Beijing)
1 ICANN as an ICANN Booth volunteer (Buenos Aires, 2013)
1 ICANN Meeting co-leading the ICANN Booth (Buenos Aires, 2015).
1 Academic group called ASEP-IT (focused on IT Security, Audit and Forensic
capacity building issues).
1 Internet Governance Dialog Event as a fellow (Buenos Aires, 2015).
4 lectures about IG ecosystem, Diplo basquets etc at local university,
forum and professional college.

*Enthusiastic IG evangelist and Information System Engineer* focused on
Quality Control and Information Security Management.

I've been working in IT section at Tucumán Economy Ministry and local
University too but *my jobs aren't related to IG issues **directly*. That's
a hobby or vocation to me that I try to keep despite of my two jobs
timetable.

I would like to know:

1- *How many of you are working in Academic environments*?
2- For those who work there, *would you mind telling me what kind of IG
projects are doing/ facing*?

I got my degree in National Technologic University where I keep *ASEP-IT*
group with other collegues. Nowadays* it's the platform I use to share my
IG experiences*.

On the other side *I work at Tucuman Nacional University, the biggest one
in the northern region of Argentina*. I would like to *encourage their
representatives to get involve in IG issues trough university*.

3- I am contemplating the *creation of a new group with a wider scope than
ASEP-IT in order that it become a kind of IG observatory to know the needs
of my region in every aspect of Diplo's basquets*. *I want to create a
place where different regional actors can bring their voices and Internet
perspectives (ISP, TELCO's, LEA's, users, graduates, students, teachers,
parents, lawyers, judges, etc etc)*.I have great networking at a local,
national and global level.

So, *any advice to me*? Sorry for my English and the extension of the mail. *So
many ideas that I would like to become true step by step and, of course,
with your help* :-)

I started contact with *Jeffrey Dunn from ICANN **Development and Public
Responsibility Department (DPRD) thanks to Janice *and he showed interest
in working together to awake Internet Governance interest in my academic
region.

Thanks in advance and regards from Argentina,

Gaby