[NCUC-DISCUSS] WBC Global policy support pilot - is NCUC participating in it?

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Tue Dec 27 20:14:37 CET 2016

Not much time to weigh in on substance, but this thread caught my
attention, and I thought I might weigh in with just a bit of framing to
amplify comments by Avri and others.

The worry with accepting support is that we can become dependent upon
that support, which is a problem if the existence of that support is
subject to any whims based on powers we do not control.  Even if there
are no other strings attached, there is the potential of strings being
attached on the spur of the moment and leading to substantive
pressures.  That is a real threat.

If we accept support, it should be under conditions that it is reliable
and with no substantive strings attached: we use it for whatever we see
fit because we are best situated to know and decide what our most
important needs are for any subsidy.  Kathy's point about Maryam is
well-taken, and this is support well-received since Maryam is responsive
to our needs -- and my sense is that there is no threat of withdrawing
Maryam's activities lightly.  Kathy's point about equity in support is
also well-taken: if others get it we should too.

But we need to insist that we control the uses of such support
completely (we approve, or veto, the hiring of any personnel involved --
if it comes to substantive policy involvement, then we absolutely need
to ensure we are comfortable with that resource from a policy-substance
standpoint and may choose a substitute if not), and we also need to make
sure that the support is well-defined and durable over a long time
period, ideally indefinitely.  In writing would be nice, too -- can it
be a binding contract?

Dan